Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 chev 4x4 700r4 tranny is overheating. I believe there is a breather on top of the tranny and it's getting hot and blowing fluid out the breather. Short trips is fine its just long trips when it gets hot do not have a gauge but it gets so hot you cant even touch it. Just flushed it and changed fluid and filter( thought maybe something was plugged in the system so it wasnt cooling). Drove couple hundred miles and fresh fluid was burnt badly again. Took off return line started engine and fluid ran through radiator and trans cooler and back out so nothing is plugged in lines radiator or trans cooler its all circulating. Fluid was pumping out plenty fast too so pump must be pumping fine. As far as transmission it dont slip shift funny or anything, works great. Any ideas? Thank You

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
all gm said:
I have a 1989 chev 4x4 700r4 tranny is overheating. I believe there is a breather on top of the tranny and it's getting hot and blowing fluid out the breather. Short trips is fine its just long trips when it gets hot do not have a gauge but it gets so hot you cant even touch it. Just flushed it and changed fluid and filter( thought maybe something was plugged in the system so it wasnt cooling). Drove couple hundred miles and fresh fluid was burnt badly again. Took off return line started engine and fluid ran through radiator and trans cooler and back out so nothing is plugged in lines radiator or trans cooler its all circulating. Fluid was pumping out plenty fast too so pump must be pumping fine. As far as transmission it dont slip shift funny or anything, works great. Any ideas? Thank You

sounds like the lock up converter is not functioning.

Can you feel the converter lock up?

have the shift timing and shift firmness changed recently ?

:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to shift at he same times it always has and i havent really noticed any slippage or hesitation in the shifting it seems the same as it always has. It seems like it may take a little longer to go into gear when you first put it in especially reverse. As far as the converter locking up can you explain a little more, what should or shouldnt i be feeling. thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
As you drive down the road,50- 55 mph touch the brake pedal,leave your foot on gas pedal[maintain speed],when you touch brake pedal you should feel something like a downshift,engine rpm's should increase,about 250 rpm's.

If you feel this,that is your converter unlocking.

Does the fluid smell like rotten eggs,by any chance?

·
Registered
576 Posts

sound like the transmission need's to come out,when your new fluid turn's color and smells burnt that in deed means trouble. the input drum (shaft) wears at the bottom sealing ring and stator shaft this will cause tcc shudder and 3-4 clutch failure. also might be failed converter does fluid smell like burnt paper or just smell real rank and nasty?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts