Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So I have a shortened 88 Suburban driveline on a 57' Dodge Powerwagon body. The engine is a 400 small block with an Edelbrock 1406 carb. I bought a TV Made Easy kit from Bowtie Overdrives with all the TV brackets and cable.

I fired it up and it ran/drove sweet! I just set the TV cable position to be fully extended at WOT. It shifted great and the tranny felt strong. Well... About 15 miles later 3rd and 4th gear were toast and the new fluid was mud brown! I yanked it out and brought it to a local rebuilder and had it completely overhauled along with a new torque converter.

This time I decided to set-up the TV cable properly to ensure I didn't burn up another transmission. I have a pressure gauge on the high pressure port and at idle I'm getting 205psi of pressure, when I extend the cable it actually drops to around 180psi. From my research it seems that the TV valve is either stuck or the TV plunger is stuck. I really don't want to drop the valve body as I don't have any transmission experience.

So here is my question. Is the truck safe to drive in this condition 10-15 miles to the tranny shop? Also, are there any other tricks or things I could try to free things up?

Thanks for reading!
Ben

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
All you have to do is take the trans oil pan off. Have someone open & close the crab throttle. You'll be able to see if its stuck or not. Make sure you have full pull on the TV valve when the Carb throttle is held wide open. This would be a good time to make a drain hole.Drill a 3/8's hole about an inch away from the side of the pan.Put a 3/8's nut inside the pan then use a bolt to hold it down, mig weld the nut all the way around, wire brush the nut then smear JB Weld onto top of the welding.

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
Hello Everyone,

So I have a shortened 88 Suburban driveline on a 57' Dodge Powerwagon body. The engine is a 400 small block with an Edelbrock 1406 carb. I bought a TV Made Easy kit from Bowtie Overdrives with all the TV brackets and cable.

I fired it up and it ran/drove sweet! I just set the TV cable position to be fully extended at WOT. It shifted great and the tranny felt strong. Well... About 15 miles later 3rd and 4th gear were toast and the new fluid was mud brown! I yanked it out and brought it to a local rebuilder and had it completely overhauled along with a new torque converter.

This time I decided to set-up the TV cable properly to ensure I didn't burn up another transmission. I have a pressure gauge on the high pressure port and at idle I'm getting 205psi of pressure, when I extend the cable it actually drops to around 180psi. From my research it seems that the TV valve is either stuck or the TV plunger is stuck. I really don't want to drop the valve body as I don't have any transmission experience.

So here is my question. Is the truck safe to drive in this condition 10-15 miles to the tranny shop? Also, are there any other tricks or things I could try to free things up?

Thanks for reading!
Ben
Or the spring is bad or wrong length or there's an oil leak or the pump is unable to draw enough oil which can be a filter issue or a leak in that circuit.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for reading!
Ben
Hate to ask a silly question, but ...is the TV cable being pulled when you step on the throttle? Basically, is it on the throttle lever on the opposite side of the throttle shaft from throttle cable?

If you have the TV cable being pulled when you step on the throttle and you have more line pressure at idle than than when pulling on the cable, then your throttle valve or throttle valve bore in the valve body has somethin going on that isn't good.

How did you set the TV cable?

IOf everything set correctly - geometry included, then I second Dogwater's recommendation and stuarta's comment also applies.

Good luck - Jim

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Call the shop and ask them. It is their baby.

Don't rely on an answer that may be different.
I agree, you took it to a shop because you could´nt do it and now you ask how.

BUT the shop could argue that you set the TV cable and ruined their good work.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I found this advise on transmissioncenter.net

"If you don’t have a lot of experience installing transmissions, don’t buy the transmission from a re-builder and install it yourself. If a shop rebuilds and installs your transmission, they will only charge you one installation fee, regardless of how many times they have to take it back out. If you do the job, it’s your problem if the transmission is defective."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts