Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering changing my trans from a turbo 350 to a 700R4. I have a mid-50s Chevy half ton pickup, daily driver, boat tower. I have heard these are a good choice with the latest updates, but have no clue as to what those updates would be. I also wonder if my Lokar floor shifter I have used with the turbo 350 will work with the 700R4. Any information with regard to selecting the right torque converter for my application would also be appreciated. I am aiming for January to get this started so look forward to any and all input.

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
Ted Couch said:
I am considering changing my trans from a turbo 350 to a 700R4. I have a mid-50s Chevy half ton pickup, daily driver, boat tower. I have heard these are a good choice with the latest updates, but have no clue as to what those updates would be. I also wonder if my Lokar floor shifter I have used with the turbo 350 will work with the 700R4. Any information with regard to selecting the right torque converter for my application would also be appreciated. I am aiming for January to get this started so look forward to any and all input.
Some companies such as Hughes Performance, TCI, B&M offer a towing converter for the 700 trans. These converters can get expensive

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think the shifter should work just fine, I used a stock Powerglide shifter on my 700R4. We've towed our race cars thousands of miles with a stock 4L60E, the computer controlled equivalent of the 700R4.

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
not sure if you are "up" on how a Lokar shifter mounts to the trans..... the t-350 brackets may not be long enough for the 700 trans....

ask Lokar.

:D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ted Couch said:
Most of the updates will already be in the transmission if you get the correct year.

Best year for non-auxiliary valve body is 1986. With auxiliary valve body go for 1990 or later. Don't even try 1982-1984 - updates will break the bank.

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
Guys,

read the dates on the original post.

The OE poster Ted Couch has not been logged on since 2006 , only posted the 1 question.

Perhaps he found his answer some where else?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I will answer my own question : I called Lokar today and axed if the TH350 Shifter would mount onto a 700r4 trans.... the Tech said that the TH350 shifter would not function properly if mounted on a 700R4. I asked him again if it would "mount" and, with an ever-so-slight chuckle again he stated that it would not function properly and then immediately said that they sell a conversion kit for the TH350 to 700r4.....consisting of Side Brackets, new detent so shifter would have the 4 speeds instead of 3, and a new knob insert. All for $88.95.
So now, after that call, I still do not know if the 350 shifter would actually mount on the 700r4 and still shift the transmission.....but I betcha it would!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts