Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700r4 in my racecar, (78 nova pure stock dirt track), I was in the middle of turns one and two when my tranny popped out of gear then back in. It made a nasty grindy pop sound, im scared to drop the pan for what i will find. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
ragincajun19 said:
I have a 700r4 in my racecar, (78 nova pure stock dirt track), I was in the middle of turns one and two when my tranny popped out of gear then back in. It made a nasty grindy pop sound, im scared to drop the pan for what i will find. Any ideas?

if the pan has metal debris.... a disassemble and inspection of the trans would be suggested

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm pretty much tranny ignorant so if its toast will a rebuild kit installed by a pro bring it back to life?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It will never live in that enviroment, either switch to a glide or th350. preferably a glide in high gear (much less parasitic power loss).

·
Registered
685 Posts
When you start buying parts to fix your 700R4, you may find the glide or 350 to be much more affordable and in line with your budget.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all that have replied, I will just have to buckle down and find a 350 or powerglide. Any one out there know some older models with those stock?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
glide just about any chevy from the early 60,s on up to early mid 70's .th350 from mid to late 60's up. If you can get the correct gear to run high gear the glide will be faster due to less rotating wt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts