Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im buying a chev 283 engine for my 57. its been recommended to me to use a 700r4 tranny. CAn someone tell me if it bolts directly on or do I need some sore of adapter plate?
Thanks

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
i run a 700r4 in 58 truk, it's performed great for 36,000 miles so far
57 chevy has front and bellhousing motor mounts.
you'll need to convert to side motor mounts and rear trans mount.
make sure the 283 you bought has the side mount bosses before you try any conversion
the 265 and some 283 didn't have the bosses

front motor mounts for a 57 chevy car (truck is similar)

the bell housing has side mounts and only accepts a manual trans, no automatic will bolt in
truck uses the same bell housing

factory assembly manual pic

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,050 Posts
Edited: Oops, ogre is right.... I forgot about that..... never mind...

But on the other hand would not the 700R4 bolt directly to the block and the bellhousing for the standard transmission doesn't come into play?

Original response:.... There are a lot of folks who will poo poo the 700 r4 due to a reputation of being finicky. And if it's not built correctly it can be finicky. However done correctly and it's a beast. Here are two links to my website the first link is related to the first rebuild and the second link it's related to my second rebuild. I wasn't paying attention the first time. I'm loving the overdrive and selective lockup with my dash mounted 3 position switch that is detailed in the links. I had no intention of building it for drag racing but for enjoying myself driving through the hills and around town. I'm running a jaguar xjs 2.88 rear end and at 70 miles an hour I'm doing 1800 RPM and I love it, especially when I open the electric cutouts!

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
I think you'll have to re-drill the flexplate. Later 700r4s used the smaller pattern IIRC.

Don't just bolt on a later flexplate without checking balance. Over the course of the years, chevy switched the small block from internal to external balance on many displacements

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i run a 700r4 in 58 truk, it's performed great for 36,000 miles so far
57 chevy has front and bellhousing motor mounts.
you'll need to convert to side motor mounts and rear trans mount.
make sure the 283 you bought has the side mount bosses before you try any conversion
the 265 and some 283 didn't have the bosses

front motor mounts for a 57 chevy car (truck is similar)

the bell housing has side mounts and only accepts a manual trans, no automatic will bolt in
truck uses the same bell housing

factory assembly manual pic

So ill need that southwest speed plate to attach the transmission?

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
The 700R4 bolts to the block, the potential problem is the starter.

Early 283’s mounted the starter on the transmission, later models used the extended horn shape casting off the block to mount the starter. So you need to be explicit about your 283’s starter mount.

If it does not have the starter mount on the block then you would need an adapter.

Frankly leaving an aluminum cased transmission dangling unsupported behind the engine is not a good idea, Back in 57 Chevy transmissions manual and automatic used cast iron cases which is a much stiffer material and the engines of the era didn’t produce much power so case loads were a lot lower. You really should consider a transmission cross member and mount to soak up the overhung moments and drive shaft loads on the backside of the case.

Converter lockup is easily addressed if your 700R4 has the external 4th gear port in its case, not all do. This allows a simple pressure switch that engages converter lock up anytime the trans is in 4th. It’s just simple!

The 700R4 uses a cable operated Throttle Valve (TV) for modulation. this is cable operated and requires a bolt on bracket that either mounts to the drivers rear side of the intake or a version that mounts to the carb flange, I think only available for four barrels. Either of these is likely to be in conflict with old time throttle levers and shafts.
The 700R4 is extremely sensitive to this set up and adjustment it will go up in smoke faster than you can read this if it’s wrong. How to adjust is on the web, read and be sure you understand. The TH200R4 sets up the same and brings the same problem.

A TH350 is a lot simpler it uses a vacuum modulator all you gotta do is run a rubber hose from the intake to the modulator on the tranny. Starter problem based on the block is the same as 200R4 or 700R4.

Keep us in the loop, Bogie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i also plan on purchasing a support bracket for the tranny. as far as mounting and setting up the tranny , i will definately be posting here as it sounds like im over my head

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Starter holes are only seen if you look under the flange on the passenger side.
that water pump isn’t for a 283.
Do you have a link to this motor so we can check it further.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pics are fuzzy.
Hard to see critical details.
‘Hate to see you waste your money.
if it’s an ad somewhere then let’s see it.
I found this guy selling parts in Wpg. Like I said before Im not a mech but enjoy tinkering. So......I will be asking for help alot and asking really dumb questions. those pics are not online, he sent me those

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Can you get him to take a pic of the crank flange at the back of the motor and the area right beside the distributor.
and ask him what the casting number is?

If I still lived in Alberta I’d get you a 283. I know a guy with several.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts