Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 71' El Camino project car off of my cousin. It has a 307 in it with Header's,Edelbrock performer intake,holley carb,dual exhaust flowmasters. It's my first project car so im pretty excited.... now my question.... I wanted to take that 307 out of there and put in a mild(300-325 HP) 350 in it... How much do you think ill have to spend to reach my goal of 300-325 HP with a 350? Later on I wanted to convert it into a 4-Spd Manual....how much am I looking at to convert it into a manual?

Thanks in advance.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
with the right pieces you can reach your power goal with the 307. Or you could get a 350 block, install the 307 crank, and have a 327. it`s known the more cubes the better, but I like to be different, everyone has a 350, 307`s and 327`s aren`t so common anymore. as for the 4 speed, finding one is the hard part, and when you find it you`ll pay for it, then you`ll need the pieces from a aftermarket supplier, how much it`ll cost is up to you as the spender.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I may have been darn lucky, but I got a used Saginaw and a Cenerforce gold clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing and drove the crap outta it without ever a problem. Im talkin 6500 rpm launches in a 3800lb car with 4.56 gears, so Im not a firm believer in buying those expensive trannies.
Remember all the linkage, z bar and little pieces you'll need to. Hg
p.s. I believe those crate GM performance motors cost like 1995 and put out around 325 horses outta the box.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
300 HPis reasonable and not to expensive of a goal to accompolish.You can build that with a good cam and a nice set of good flowing heads + a good intake.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info..... Do you think one of those rebuild kits they sell in the magazine paired up with some good heads will give me my power goal? Or do I need to spend alot more money on the rotating assembly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts