Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 1971 elcamino, im not exactly sure of all the parts but i think it has a 305 in it but im not really sure, the number on the block says VO8240db if that helps.

i have a edelbrock performer rpm intake w/ a rochester q-jet carb the carb # is 7041208 qc

i have no idea what kind of heads, probally some stock ones, and the exhaust appears to be stock manifolds.

i also have a delco remy hei ignition.

well the problem is that the car is VERY slow off the line, when i gas it i get a crappy response, then as i get to about 15 it gets its power. Its also been burning oil, wich i dont have a problem with adding more, just i know its not very good.

its also been having fouled out spark plugs, wich is the most bothersome thing. ill be going fine, gas it some then a piston goes out because of the fouled plug.

recently when i am driving around and i gun it it goes fine, but then if i do it a few times in a row. like if i gun it, stop at a stop sign, then gun it again, it wont want to rev up all the way, almost like a rev limiter. If i park it and let it cool down, then ride easy for awhile, it will go back to normal.

any imput or ideas?

also, id like to know where i can find out what the numbers on the motor mean, and what would be the best thing to add onto the motor, ive been thinking of buying headers is that good?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
are the plugs oil fouled? If they are, you're at a loss. YOu might have valve seals, but I doubt it. THey usually only smoke a couple seconds on start up, if you're buring oil like that you've got a serious problem. I guess it could be the PCV, but its not likely.

Second problem is your RPM manifold is the wrong stinking manifold for the job. Did you notice the 1500-6500 R, rating on the thing? Yeah, that's for a 350. With the bore to stroke ratio of the 305 you need all the help you can get on the low end, and you're killing it!

Start over, get a 400 or something. This 305 is headed for the bottom of a pond whether its shot or not!

K

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Sounds like a major rebuild is in order. Follow Killers' advice, maybe a shortblock and use your boltons. Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts