Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this forum and am in need of help with my 71 Nova. It has been setting for several years and I've just gotten it running again. New fuel system (everything from the tank to the fuel pump, new carb, ignition just switched over to a new HEI Distributor and a new Battery. I've never been good at being a mechanic and had to pay a lot to get it running again.

Now I'm having problems with the turn signals. Most especially the rear. They seem to work fine without the motor running. Once it is running the turn signals are barely visible. If i turn on the headlights they are not visible but the brake lights shine bright (except the side I'm trying to use with the turn signal). Hazard and break lights appear to be fine with the motor running and the headlight on. It just appears to be a problem with the turn signals. They flash bright until I start the engine or turn on the headlights.

Also, the Generator light stays on for a little while each time I start the car but goes off after I rev it up a little. If it is a ground problem I'm not sure where/how to troubleshoot it.

Based on what I've read it's probably a ground or voltage problem. Any further suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what all grounds includes. I've been reading up on "Grounding Kits" and was wondering if this is how I should start since the problem is worse once the engine is running. My assumption is that once current is used elsewhere (Engine running or headlights on) there is not enough current left for the signals to function properly. Do I start by running 4 gauge wires from the battery to body, engine block to firewall/body and alternator to the body? Or is this getting off track and not going to help? I've just spent way too much to get this far on getting the car running and was hoping to identify some less expensive and more direct approaches that will pay off the quickest.

Thanks
Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts