Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No cab lights,brake lights I have turn signals but for some reason the right front marker light blinks when turn to the right signal,and the front turn signal lights dont work,just the back ones.I've got no gauge lights either,The car starts up and runs,This is the only thing keeping me from driving my truck with the brand new motor I put in it.And wiring is not something I understand to well either.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds like you have some bad grounds, and blown fuses (crosfeeding power between systems through the lamps)

Check ALL the grounds at the light buckets, properly bond them, then do the same for the dash panel..

After that inspect (with a meter or self contained lamp probe) ALL your fuses..don't just eyeball them, a link can open under the leg of the fuse and you won't see it.

Set up a ground buss:

Run a properly gauged Ground cable from the battery to any handy bolt at or near the starter, From that same bolt get a Battery cable at the parts store, that has two 3/8 ring terminals on each end and attach it there and to the Frame.

Next get some 10 gauge wire and ring terminals and run two wires from your bolt on the block to the Firewall, and the other to the Alternator bracket or mount bolt.

Next get some Wire Braid, (Radio Shack) and install braid from the radiator support to the frame, Fenderwells to frame , hood to firewall, Doors to door posts, gas flap to body, tailgate / Trunk to body.

At each point the wire is grounded, Burnish ALL the paint and grease off to bare metal. Use a proper star-washer and lock. Use sheetmetal or Tech screws where no screws are available.

It sounds like a lot of work, but after you assemble all the parts, it's only a few hours to do..and you'll end up with a system that will work reliably for many years to come..and can eliminate that from your troubleshooting list.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.