Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's the scenario.
On almost every Camaro I can think of they all have the filler neck behind the license plate. So when you completely fill the tank up, the fuel burps back out of the filler neck and runs down the real valance panel before you realize it. I know on later model cars you have a check/flapper <----(the best way I know to describe it). This flapper I could see helping to prevent the splash back of fuel.

My question is...
Does anyone out their make an updated fuel tank for the 70-73 Camaro that would either have this feature, or at least address this issue in some way?

I plan on replacing the old tank, along with sending unit and all related parts, but since I'm out shopping around, I hope resolve this problem in the process.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
flapper valve

The flapper valve is to minimize fuel escape in the event of a crash. it won't help when filling the tank.. some gas stations have stronger pumps so fill on the first notch and try to keep the nozzle in far enough to let the automatic shut off work.

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
It's called paying attention to what you're doing, all old cars are this way :rolleyes: :D . I don't think you will find a tank for the '70-73 Camaro with the neck style baffle that you want. They didn't show up on new cars until the mid 70's. Catalytic converter and unleaded gas requirement was tied to it, only the smaller unleaded nozzle would fit so that you couldn't pump leaded regular into the tank of a car with a cat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well,
I guess I could pay closer attention to what I'm doing, but that's kind of the point.. I am paying close attention In order to keep this from happening.

However the advice Timothale gave makes a very good point. I may be so concerned with keeping it from happening that I am over analyzing the problem, fill it slower, and hope the shut off for the pump kicks in before it burps fuel out the filler neck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And don't park on an up hill slope when the tank is full... My 67 Camaro leaked and ruined the paint right below the gas cap :( . The only saving grace is that I plan to paint the car this winter, so at least I learned my lesson before the new paint was on....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.