Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good day all,
First time user to the Hot Rodder forum.

My son and I are starting to restore my 1972 C20 w/ 89,000 miles 350 / 4 Bolt mains. I originally bought it from my uncle in Texas in 1977 and added a cab over camper once I got it back to California and have kept it ever since. About 25 years ago I replaced the Turbo 350 w/ a Turbo 400 just because of the camper weight and my buddy made me a sweet deal on the tranny. The truck has been sitting idle for about 15 years and my son is now getting interested in learning how to work on stuff. I thought this would be a great project for us to do together. Just changed the oil, battery, fresh gas and sprayed some ether in the "Ole Lady". To my surprise, she fired up but with just a slight miss in the ignition, probably the plug wires. Unfortunately the tranny is shifting hard and then slips a bit. Good news, my buddy whom I got the tranny from is a retired tranny mechanic and had me pull the unit to rebuild and will be ready next week for a case of micro Brew and parts.
There is a lot of superficial rust under the chassis and a few rust holes around the rocker panels but overall the metal is good shape. All the rubber is shot, so we plan to replace it all. Our plan is to soda blast the under carriage and re-undercoat. The paint is all faded but not pealing, so we are going to sand and repaint. No brakes, so we will flush all the lines and rebuild the brake system.
As for the engine, its appears to be OK but I always remember that the Ole Lady would give me 10mpg loaded and if she was running flat and cruising maybe 12mpg. She's got the original Holley 4-Barrel and ignition system. I am not up to speed on the latest performance improvements and hope I can get some feedback from all you good folks. My son is looking for it to be an everyday driver and his budget is limited but the "Old Man" is going to help out. What can be recommended to improve the gas mileage? What I remember, she had plenty of horsepower hauling that loaded camper back in the day. The engine is going to be pulled to gain easy access to clean up the engine compartment and replace all the rubber for the steering, cab and bed. I figure this is the perfect time to see what moderate improvements can be done to the engine and then reattach the tranny and install whole unit back in the truck once the paint is done.

Any good recommended sources for Classic Chevy truck stuff would be great to know.

Thanks for reading and look forward to any feedback

Keep on Truck'in

Mike and Philip

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Welcome to the board.. That truck will go another generation or maybe 2. Great project and a fellow can always use a truck and one nicely done always gets attention at the shows I go to..

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the board.. That truck will go another generation or maybe 2. Great project and a fellow can always use a truck and one nicely done always gets attention at the shows I go to..

Sam
Thanks Sam,

Your right, its a great truck for the generations and my son told me its not just a truck but he sees it as family history to show off and hope to hand down to his son or daughter when time time comes. Just started to take pictures of the project to show the progress and will have to figure out where to post them.

All the best,

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts