Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-I'm new here. I just brought my 72 Super Cheyenne long bed 350 manual back from the grave. Had it parked for a couple of years because the clutch went out. I know, I know, I shouldn't have let it get down like that. Anyway-new 3 fingered clutch installed. Along with new (Advanced Auto) Quadrajet carb, points, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, what else-running with a chrysler ballast resistor.
Here is the problem-it runs up to 2000 grand (right where I go to shift out of 1st to 2nd gear, forgot to tell you its a 3 spd on the column shift.
I get to this area and it "stumbles"-looses power-I look at the tack and it is jumping around right before teh shift. Smooth up to that point and then $#^%#@!^. It is the same way from 2nd to 3rd. Any ideas? Vacuum lines qre connected-and areas without are plugged off. Maybe the advance is bad? The dwell on this is right at 30 so....
also-pulling out into traffic its like it is missing on a couple plugs and then builds up speed. My only other thing I can tell you is that I had another vehicle that sat forever and then it had to be driven forever and finally worked itself out and ran fine. When I parked it the truck ran mint-not a bug. Could my pick-up sock be jammed up with setiment? I have its first full 20 gallons of gas in the tank. Throw something back at me that might be going on. The way its running now it has me reaching to make sure the plus are on the wires and I even checked-my distributor wasn't turned. I haven't checked the timing yet-because I never moved or jacked with it so......
Thanks Boz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drove my truck around tonight. Was on a stretch so that I could go upwards of 75 MPG. I decided to top out at 75 and noticed my 410 geared 1 ton rear-end (yes-that's right) was keeping my revs on my tack at around 2800. As I was driving I would take my foot off the gas just a touch and could hear the back pressure in my exhaust crackly and popping (I never heard that before?). Something that I failed to mention. A couple of years ago-just before the 3-fingered clutch went south the suspension did too. The springs weren't supporting the body like it should. I installed heavy duty shocks in the hopes that they would do before I could get my new coils installed. On a trip to Lexington Kentucky to pick up a vehicle I had just bought on E-Bay the duel exhaust pipe that overlaps the passenger side axle housing karate chopped my metal/rubber brake line and also the exhaust tubing was closed up half way. Do you think that this is the cause of my "non-power? Before the truck was parked there was nothing I could drive up on and pass-that's how strong my truck was running. Now as I pull out-it works itself out of being bogged down then builds up speed. s I'm driving it up to 2000 g on the tack it stubble's a little bit before I shift to 2nd and then runs some what normally and then does the same thing at my shift to 3rd gear. It shows I'm at about 2400 g on the tack, but the tack jumps from 2100 to 2400 erratically. Anyone else have this? Maybe my return sock in the seat tank is clogged up or maybe I just need to drive the dog ***** outta it. You decide? Any problem solving ideals? Don't be shy-I could use the help.--Boz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.