Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
I am new here but have been around hotrods some. I have a 72 ford f100 that is down to a bare frame . I also have a 78 merc marquis with a 460 and was wondering if the front clip could be transplanted onto the ford. I have heard of a ltd clip transplanted but was wondering if anyone had heard of a merc being used . any input would be appreciated . this is a father- son project and he bought the merc with his saved money. he is seventeen and is really jazzed on the project. thanx

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
I believe that the Marquis and the LTD used the same frame. I do think though that keeping the Twin "I" beam setup would be better.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would have to agree with poncho62. Just rebuild or atleast thoroughly check out the twin I-Beam really good i.e. bushings tie rod ends etc etc....But I would definitely go with the 460, if you are budget minded like me you can probably do a quick freshen up IE rings, rods,mains,oil pump,timing set, maybe a little bigger bump stick, have the heads reworked (new valve guides) don't let them knurl them If they can't replace them find a machine shop that can!! I recently saw an article in Car Craft where they made 500hp out of a 460, they claim not that many mods and made it easy and more to be had. I know the 460 is a torque monster......no matter what you decide you and your son have fun working on it.........see ya Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
twin I-beams

Thanx poncho and brian.
The main reason for the marquis clip was to slam the truck and I was gonna do an axle flip in the back. why do you think the i_beam set up is better . THe merc would give me lower stance, power steering and disc brakes. they have been clipping frames on the 53 to 56 trucks for years and was thinking about one on this one. I am open for discussion on this though. thanx guys.
I am like a vulture I want to pick y'alls brain on this issue

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
I did the same on my 51 Ford pickup with a Nova clip.......Probably will work out fine for you, just have never heard of using those to clip a vehicle. Just make sure that you measure it out real good before cutting it up.

·
Registered
585 Posts
the main reason I say staying with the Ibeam set up is strictly for convenience sake. I am pretty sure that you can stay with a close to stock setup and still slam it. you'd just have to do alittle research. like can you get drop spindles and disc brakes that are pretty much bolt on??? I am like poncho I haven't heard of anyone using a grand marque for the sub frame.......I have however heard of the mustang II and nova setups. Probably one of the best that I have seen is using a mid 80's dodge diplomat and others in that chassis style,for some reason I can't remember the names of the other models.(some-timers disease) I guess???Anyway they have torsion bars and can be raised or lowered with the turn of a screw. It drops out as an entire cradle. I have seen this on a few at car shows and have seen it numerous times in truck mags, however it has always been on the early to mid 50's trucks. With all that said The closer you can stay to stock/modified stock the better off you are usually. Because Unless you have a fully dressed work shop IE torches,welders,several jack stands,grinders, sanders and the list goes on for days, you will have a difficult time pulling off a sub-frame replacement, especially if you have limited hands on experience. While I am not saying it's impossible just difficult. :D Brian

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sub-frame swaps have been done for decades. In the 50s-60s dirt track and stock car racers cut off clips and installed them in crunched race cars regularly.
The Nova/Camaro clips became popular because they could be easily removed from the donor vehicle by removing about 6-8 bolts and the rolled away on to the trailer.
So. measure the LTD/Marquis frame rails and compare them to your truck frame measurements, if all looks good, peel off the sheet metal and saw or torch the frame just rearward of the firewall and load it up.

Just curious, what the devil is a rear axle flip?

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
Just curious, what the devil is a rear axle flip?
He means putting the axle on top of the springs instead of on the underside, to lower truck. He doesn't flip the axle, unless he wants to go fast backwards.............Maybe, you can turn the pot in those, I am not sure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
72 truck again

Hi guys
I checked out the other site and it was about 50/50 on subing the truck. One guy on there said that the upper and lower control arms on cars were not strong enough to handle a truck with a 460 engine . I dont know right off hand what the truck weighs but i do know the marquis weighs 6,052 lbs.
The pucker factor hauling it home behind my bronco was running quite high and i do believe the truck will weigh a lot less than that when completed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I really like home brews Idea. As he said guys he has "some experience with hotrods"And unless he has a big shop with good equipment this could become a headache, But if he goes with the later model "bolt on" Idea it would be a much easier build.rwhitaker5 enlighten us what are your shop provisions. If you try to bite off more than you can build,you'll either end up with something that you don't like or get frustrated and give up on the project all together. I have seen both and It is really sad to see someone give up outta frustration or build something that they hate and sell!! You can always do a reasonable first build up to get it on the road and add on and upgrade as time and money allow. Call me a party pooper if you want to I'm just trying to be realistic. Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my shop

My shop is 53 ft wide 32 ft deep and 18 ft tall. There is a three ft tall I-beam
in the ceiling that has a 5 ton chain hoist that will slide from one side to the other. I am a certified heavy welder with about 15 yrs experience i have access to a torch and have a miller ac/dc stick welder and a lincoln mig. I have two bench grinders on pedestals and a host of hand grinders . I have helped a friend build a 56 ford with a gran prix front and rear . It also had a 460 in it . we also reversed the hood to open from the rear with hydraulic cylinders. I am 6ft 3 inches tall and when the 56 left the shop I could hold my arm straight out and it would clear the top of the truck. We have fabbed up rear frames to accept corvette IRS .We have also boxed frames to be able to handle the stress from blower engines with stepped rear frames to be able to run sportsman size tires, this car was a 32 ford coupe .My friend will be here to help me insure that i get all measurments correct and we will double check each other .My shop also has lighted pit in the floor on one side .

·
Registered
261 Posts
rwhitaker5

First I think you are more than capable of fitting the merc frontend to your truck, it sounds like you have enough experience and knowledge for this, second I wish you to know that I want your shop and have now thought about moving there soon, please sweep the floor for me and pay the light bill so I can see to work on my car and if it is cold be sure to set the heat at 70 degrees, will be there as soon as I can. :p

30dee :thumbup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
rwhitaker5 said:
hi all
I am new here but have been around hotrods some. this is what I had to go on!! you have the shop and all the right stuff and sounds like a very good working knowledge. Got the torch out yet!!! GET-R-Done. I envy the shop space :drool: . keep us up todate. send pics. Brian

\

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rwhitaker5

Thanx guys
I am sorry if i had misled you . I have never done this kind of swap by myself and never saw a merc being used. I will hold off on the torch first I will get a tape measure out and do a lot of measuring. I need to get a good digital camera so i can upload some pics.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
rwhitaker5 said:
My shop is 53 ft wide 32 ft deep and 18 ft tall. There is a three ft tall I-beam
in the ceiling that has a 5 ton chain hoist that will slide from one side to the other. I am a certified heavy welder with about 15 yrs experience i have access to a torch and have a miller ac/dc stick welder and a lincoln mig. I have two bench grinders on pedestals and a host of hand grinders . I have helped a friend build a 56 ford with a gran prix front and rear . It also had a 460 in it . we also reversed the hood to open from the rear with hydraulic cylinders. I am 6ft 3 inches tall and when the 56 left the shop I could hold my arm straight out and it would clear the top of the truck. We have fabbed up rear frames to accept corvette IRS .We have also boxed frames to be able to handle the stress from blower engines with stepped rear frames to be able to run sportsman size tires, this car was a 32 ford coupe .My friend will be here to help me insure that i get all measurments correct and we will double check each other .My shop also has lighted pit in the floor on one side .
Dangggg. Can I rent a room? :D Dan

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey
rwhitaker5 I can make a recommendation on the digital camera. look at the cannon A520 or ones in that line, I have the A75. All the pics I have posted on here in my photo gallery were taken with it. As long as you don't want to blow the picture up to poster size this little camera is great. They even have one now that has larger mega pixel capacity than when we bought ours. Anyway this is one of the easiest I've used.....Seeya Brian :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.