Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now its the stock 350, 7H1 Heads, looking to do a head swap, and along with that i already changed the cam and lifters, timing set, i have headers, holley 4 barrell and so on. Please let me know of any and everything i can do to this motor( i know it isnt a racing engine or anything) but what can i do to it as far as manifold, carburetor, distributor kits, heads, boring or stroking it, transmission work (TH350) and anything else please let me know!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Boy that would take a book to answer. Maybe give some parameters on where you want to go. Such as money you want to spend, street car, supercharger turbo nitrous race gas, pump gas, e85. That would help everyone help you. I think budget is the most important for me anyway. Then if you make gobs of power will the rest of the drivetrain hold up. Too much power on the street will you get traction. ugh lots of questions to this question.

·
Registered
878 Posts
So what cam did you install? What intake manifold? How "big" are the headers? What Holley?

350 is a decent engine, though not a GREAT one. One cannot make the same level of power as 400 without jumping through a BUNCH of "hoops".

The better 350 heads are the '69 17s and 47s. Even though Pontiac used the 48 ("large valve") head on SOME 350s, it's better to use the small-valve heads. The bore size is so small it impairs intake flow significantly.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the edelbrock performer, a 600 Holley 4 barrel, hedman headers not too big I believe 2 1/2 inch pipes each to a 3 inch collector, its a comp calm I'll dig up the spec card and get that on here as soon as I can, and I'm just going to drive it on the street nothing crazy but enough to get a lot put of it and its gonna be over time so not a huge budget but a mildly modified budget. Which of those heads would you suggest?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Can't tell you a whole lot until I know what cam you're tunning. As for the 17s vs. the 47s, well, flip a coin... A d-port is a d-port is a d-port... Very little difference between ALL d-port heads except valve and chamber size.

Keep compression at or under 9.5:1 for 93 octane gas.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.