Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.....Newbie here with this darn '72 Olds Cutlass......it has a Rocket 350 in it.....I bought a new dipstick from Summit but I still can't find the place to stick it into????? Into the block/oilpan? What the hell....this is so frustrating!!

Anybody know where the oil dipstick connects to the car?

Thanks!

Dean Sparks

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Put it in the same place that you took out the old one.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
troy-curt said:
Put it in the same place that you took out the old one.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

Well you see I believe there was no old one as he mentioned in another thread.

Mike

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
That helps to get good ans.:smash:

Troy

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Just look for hole, when you find one that appears to small then you have found the hole. Put your dipstick tube in the freezer for a while before you try to put it in.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
olds6665 said:
check your private messages you'll find a real answer there form me
Well let's hear it.........

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Dipstick

Doc here :pimp:

The Dipstick hole should be on the left hand side.

Get a drop light, and look about where the head attaches to the block, right about in the middle, there should be a small hole about the size of your dipstick tube.

This would be the hole you are looking for. If your not sure , put the stick in it and see if you "Strike Oil"...If so you have found "Black Gold...Texas Tea....Jed..."..:D LOL.

Insert your Tube, as mentioned before and Stick.

BE ADVISED: Watch your oil pressure...I have used "Stock" Summit replacements in the past and they have differed in length from the original by as much as a quart either way, and a too long stick, Could strike the rotating mass...

Hope it Helps!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
5 Posts
the big reason that he is having trouble finding the hole is most likely that the eng. is still in the car and that the exaust manifold is in the way olds eng's dipstck tubes tend to weave behind and or through the manifold as it goes into the block you need to pull the manifold to be able to put the stick in as soon as you pull it you'll see exactly what to do

ps it has been my experiance with aftermarket sticks that doc is totaly right on that you can prob go to a gm dlr and order a new stick and tube for about 20.00 my last one cost me 18.00 and change well worth the money and security

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fellas,

Thanks for all your help on the dipstick......I found it! Had to pull the starter from underneath to find it.....the old stick had about a 2" piece sticking out....pulled that with some vice grips and a hammer.....then froze the new one and it went right in! Success.....I drained the oil and found it to be milky and almost white......sometimes that means head problems or water in the motor, but in this case I think it's just been sittting for years and was wore out.

I am going to look into an engine flush for it....any suggestions?

The motor itself runs amazingly strong....Rocket 350. I am having the Quadra-Junk rebuilt and installing a new intake from Edelbrock. Hopefully that will improve its performance.

I was also wondering if anyone would have a diagram of the vacuum lines for this old dog......there are lines missing everywhere, stuff is plugged off, etc.....and in the meantime, my throttle response is horrid because it sucks massive air before it kicks in...hard to even keep it running.....I call my son Mr. Feather now, 'cause he's constantly feathering the motor to keep it running.

Maybe I should start a diary....this project has been so fun, and truly a family affair. My boys are working hard on prepping the body for paint, my wife is doing all the upholstery work and I'm project manager/keeper of the peace and motor guy.

I had no idea how much they would gravitate towards this project....they are 19/21 and both suffer from Bi-polar disorder. This has been a God send.....they are excited to get up in the morning and go to work on the car!

I just have to figure out how to keep it moving along with parts and ($) to keep them in the game.

I'll take some pics and post them soon.

Peace,
Dean Sparks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts