Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
been a while since my last post. I am working on a 68 GTX with a 73 727 trans behind a 440. I Recently took the car on it's maiden voyage only to discover I have no 3rd. i have a lokar kickdown linkage to the pressure control valve and have adjusted it as per spec, even disconnected it to process the variables affecting this condition. It has a b and m transpak shift kit where two balls in the #1 and 2 position were removed and the valve body drilled as per instructions. I rebuilt the trans with all new bands and clutches, seals etc. (king master kit) and setup band adjustment according to spec. The rear clutch clearance was set to.020" front clutch .090". fluid level is fine, have even tried over adding a liter. Removed govenor and cleaned and reassembled seems to be free, 1-2 upshifts automatically crisp and on time at about 25-30 mph. Have driven in D up to 60 mph and pedaled the throttle to no avail still no third. There was no third prior to rebuild either. the shift kit was installed prior to road testing the car. any suggestions? Thanks.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,124 Posts
Does the car back up with a solid reverse ?

Since this problem was there before the parts replacement , I would guess you missed the problem.

First guess would be a stuck shift valve.

I do not use B&M shift improver kits, you may re-visit the instructions while checking the valve body over.

Does the clutch packs air check correctly?

Is it possible you broke a sealing ring on the front servo in the case? Or did not remove it during the parts replacement?

.020 on the input FWD clutch is OK... this is the drum with the input shaft.

.090 is a bit large for the direct clutch pak ... this is the drum the front band applies on.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i figured it out. you were right by the way... I re-checked the transpack instructions and pulled the valve body. I had removed balls #1 and 2 in the valve body. (thats the 11/32 and 1/4" checks). The #1 and 2 balls in the seperator were the only ones to be removed. The way it was written led me to believe that was the correct thing at the time I guess. I have not tested it yet but I put the checks back in. I'll keep you posted. here's the manual for those who are interested.
 

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top