Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to modify this half of my AC box to allow better clearance to tighten header bolts. but there is this pod that is mounted right where my cutout needs to be. here is a pic.

a plug connects to it-- the pod itself is a series of springs that all share a connection together. i cant figure out what the hell it is or why its needed or if it can be moved somewhere else. essentially i need to get rid of the angle on the box and put a 90 on it. still allowing some clearance to the vent on the firewall but it needs to hug-around the evaporator as much as it can. anyone have any ideas what it is or know someone thats done this or a place that makes aftermarket ac boxes i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
These are the resistors that are used to vary the blower fan speeds. The reason they are located in the housing is so that air can flow over them to keep them cool and prevent them from burning out (without the air flow they will glow red from the heat they generate). It should be OK to relocate them as long as they stay where blower air can still be forced over them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh... yea i pretty much had that one handed to me i took the car out a couple minutes ago and found out the fan didnt work anymore. probably cause its not plugged in :) so basically i could just make a pod for it on the front of that box so i can still cut out the area i need for the headers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seeing as you live in Texas I think if you want your a/c to work by taking that much off the box you are either going to have to remove the evaporator coil or severly restrict the air flow thru it so your a/c won' work well. On my 67 camaro I had to notch the bottom of the box for header clearance but that didnt restrict the air flow. I think your best bet is to make a special wrench for the job.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
honestly after im done im still going to need a special tool anyway. i thought of something else actually im going to run ducting from that firewall vent to the front of the box. that way the ducting can run somewhere else...provide adequate flow and be out of my way. probably run it underneath the box and up the front. sound like a winner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The hole in the firewall where you removed that section of the box is where the air from the blower goes in to the interior ventalation system. the flapper inside the firewall that you see directs the air thru the heater or in the other position directs the cold air that has passed thru the evaporator coil to the a/c ducts. Doing what you are talking about will make the system inoperatable I think.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm. well the only other thing i thought of was keep the box just like it was but make the angle part of the box that goes to the vent Detachable. so when i need to work on the header i can just take the "vent cover" off. my only question is how do i ensure a good seal on a detachable cover. and what to make it out of.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Sagacious said:
hmm. well the only other thing i thought of was keep the box just like it was but make the angle part of the box that goes to the vent Detachable. so when i need to work on the header i can just take the "vent cover" off. my only question is how do i ensure a good seal on a detachable cover. and what to make it out of.
Circle track race cars use a skirting material of 1/8 flexible plastic, or use metal. You can use your old stuff you cut off if you are careful, make metal tabs to attach. Seal with silcone. Install with screws. Watch that drill. Been there, done that.

Ford cars had AC warranty repair with 8 hr time, discharge AC, etc. used to carefully cut box, do repair this way, with black sealer ,,,,, 1 hr no recharge needed..... heheheheh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts