Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car stalled at stop. Had been running great! wouldn't restart. Thought rotor was bad. Changed cap, rotor, and coil. HEI
Rotor appeared to be fine when replaced. Still won't start. Does "cough". appears timing is off? Fuel not an issue.
I'm lined-up with #1 at TDC. At a loss?

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Car stalled at stop. Had been running great! wouldn't restart. Thought rotor was bad. Changed cap, rotor, and coil. HEI
Rotor appeared to be fine when replaced. Still won't start. Does "cough". appears timing is off? Fuel not an issue.
I'm lined-up with #1 at TDC. At a loss?

Welcome to Hotrodders. I moved your post from the Introduction forum over to the Basics forum. The Introduction forum is not for tech questions.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
Did you start with basics? Check for spark? Verify fuel in the carb? Assuming those are good, then suspect the timing chain.

Oldsmobile motors have nylon teeth on the cam gear to reduce noise. These pretty much wear to nubs by 80,000 miles, causing the timing chain to jump. If you don't know for certain that the timing set hasn't been replaced, then you had better verify the timing. You can use a timing light when the engine is cranking, even if it doesn't run. The red arrows in this photo show how much the timing chain has slipped in this motor. Also note that the plastic teeth on the cam gear are completely gone and only the underlying metal that they are molded over remains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you start with basics? Check for spark? Verify fuel in the carb? Assuming those are good, then suspect the timing chain.

Oldsmobile motors have nylon teeth on the cam gear to reduce noise. These pretty much wear to nubs by 80,000 miles, causing the timing chain to jump. If you don't know for certain that the timing set hasn't been replaced, then you had better verify the timing. You can use a timing light when the engine is cranking, even if it doesn't run. The red arrows in this photo show how much the timing chain has slipped in this motor. Also note that the plastic teeth on the cam gear are completely gone and only the underlying metal that they are molded over remains.

View attachment 616662
Thanks Joe,
Basics are fine. Timing chain "jump" has been in my head......hoping not the issue. Have a new ignition module.
Will swap-out 1st. If chain did jump would there have been any noise, previous indications? Car ran great previous.
Has 86K on odometer. Top end of motor has been off. Don't know extent of rebuild. Car is new to me, iv'e gone about 800 miles....

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
Thanks Joe,
Basics are fine. Timing chain "jump" has been in my head......hoping not the issue. Have a new ignition module.
Will swap-out 1st. If chain did jump would there have been any noise, previous indications? Car ran great previous.
Has 86K on odometer. Top end of motor has been off. Don't know extent of rebuild. Car is new to me, iv'e gone about 800 miles....
I would suggest that before you swap out anything, throw a timing light on the engine while cranking. If the timing is way off, you have your answer. Swapping parts without troubleshooting first is a great way to introduce new and creative failures without fixing the original problem. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.