Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend told me he saw a 50 model 3100 series at a show with 73-mid 80s front sub-frame. i would like to know if is possible with out welding. my freind said the owner of the truck told him he just knocked out the hot rivets off the 70s model sub-frame cleaned it up slid it under the 50 and drilled a few holes and bolted it up?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It can be done BUT...... The late model suspension is too wide for an AD truck and the tires will not be located under the fenders. Here's an article on doing this swap. Note ho wide the front track is with this swap.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
According to the article, posted by Centerline above ... the frame is a little narrower on that series of trucks.

This same swap was virtually a "bolt-on" on my 66.
(Pictures in my Project Journal ... entry# 10,11 on page 7)

I also used the 73+ steering linkage and PS box.
I had to "eyeball" the placement of the newer-style idler arm, and bought a Rez Engineering adapter plate for the PS box. I haven't had it aligned yet, but it LOOKS good.

Ride Height and stance should be very close too. The rear axle shaft lengths are about an inch shorter (each side) on the 66 vs the 73+ ... so I'm assuming that the front will be wider by approximately the same amount.

Also note that the steering box on 81+ trucks has metric (and o-ring) fittings. Stay under that to keep SAE (and inverted flare) fittings. Consider the hydroboost brake option as well, while your doing the conversion and plumbing.

CPP has 6-bolt rotors available as well if your are planning to keep the original rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts