Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I actually have a 76 Omega, and am looking to convert it to a manual, if I can get out of it for pretty cheap. It is my first project car, and am not really looking to have to fabricate a taller/wider tunnel. So, I was wondering what trans I could throw in there, and have the factory tunnel still all clear. Also, and more importantly, I've been reading a little bit, and heard it's pretty hard to try and piece together this conversion. I found a kit, (auto to manual trans conversion kit). Problem is, I can only find one and it is for a 69-74 Nova. I just need to know if that kit would at all possibly work with it being the wrong year, and the wrong model. Only reason I'm asking is because I know Nova and Omega are highly interchangeable and I'm not sure how much changed from 74 to 76 as far as this conversion.

Link to the kit: 1969-1974 Nova Small Block Manual Conversion Kit (with Headers)

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would think all the X-body car would be close to being the same. Since there was sticks available, the tunnel should be ok. Not sure why you want to switch to a stick? You may have to find a donor car to get all the parts. Trying to find them individually, may be more problem than the assemble. I know there was a problem getting the bell-olds motor to match one year. Are using the original old motor- or chevy combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think all the X-body car would be close to being the same. Since there was sticks available, the tunnel should be ok. Not sure why you want to switch to a stick? You may have to find a donor car to get all the parts. Trying to find them individually, may be more problem than the assemble. I know there was a problem getting the bell-olds motor to match one year. Are using the original old motor- or chevy combo.
Throwing in Chevy motor. 350

Mainly just wondering if that kit should work. I've checked my local yard, and they didn't have any laying around, and I don't want to search everywhere, because I'd end up spending more on gas then it'd be just to buy the kit. The kit comes with everything (as far as I know) and would therefore keep me from having to piece it together.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Same year Nova, Omega, Apollo, Ventura II clutch linkage is all the same. Finding it in any of those cars may be the problem. Try looking at 4SpeedConversions.Com, or even E-Bay/Craigs List. Trans tunnel is of no problem, nor is the crossmember. junior stocker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had actually just found 4speedconversions.com just a second ago. They have it titled as 68-79 Conversion kits, so I'm thinking I'll be good since mines within there. The fact that you got yours out of 76 for your 70 is a good sign too. I appreciate it, thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts