Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt 2brl. carb and reinstalled a couple days later and now I crank and crank and no gas comes out of the line . can I assume the f/pump is shot ? I have had some starting issues all along and was one of the reasons for the rebulid ,I can't get it running to adjust the carb now .

·
Registered
68 Posts
when i first fired up my pontiac i had to crank for a while to get the fuel back up. what u can do is have hook up the line that goes to your carb with a rubber line that goes to a funnel, put some gas in the funnel and have a buddy crank it while you hold the funnel up. if it fires up that way for a few minutes then u know at least the carb is ok. I did that to kinda prime the carb, once there was fuel in the carb the car was able to pull fuel up the line from the tank. thats just a suggestion. Im sure there are better safer ways.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I rebuilt 2brl. carb and reinstalled a couple days later and now I crank and crank and no gas comes out of the line . can I assume the f/pump is shot ? I have had some starting issues all along and was one of the reasons for the rebulid ,I can't get it running to adjust the carb now .
Unless the tank is empty or an inline filter or fuel line is totally clogged, the pump is shot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought if it would't bring the gas to the carb after cranking it over for several sec.,or a min. or two ,it the (pump) wasn't very good or not at all ! I'll try to prime it if I have to take it in some place to get it done .

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I thought if it would't bring the gas to the carb after cranking it over for several sec.,or a min. or two ,it the (pump) wasn't very good or not at all ! I'll try to prime it if I have to take it in some place to get it done .
You might get it to work by priming it, but after the fuel drains back out of the pump and lines- which is will if the valves aren't good- the prime will be lost all over again. My advice is to replace the pump and be done w/it.

Replacing the fuel pump on a Pontiac engine is not hard at all. If you have basic hand tools and a place to work, you can do it easily in an afternoon w/a Co-cola break or two thrown in for good measure.

If you think it's something you want to do, get back to us and we'll fill in the blanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.