Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some ideas on what to do on my Trans am. I am restoring/rebuilding it. The right rear frame rail is rusted out, so I'm going to have to replace that, and I would like to beef up the entire car in the process. I would like to tie the frame up, and put a 4-link setup in the rear. Does anyone have any experience with the Competition Engineering rear frames, are they good quality, is there something better? I'd like to make it so the body can be removed from the frame, is that harder than it sounds, what does that entail? I'm also going to get a rear end out of a 79-81 so it has disc brakes. I appreciate any help.

·
machinist & fabricator
680 Posts
these cars hae been done so often now a days, if your low buck , places like comp eng. has rails that fit your car. drilling out old spot welds on the 14 gauge sheet metal is pretty easy, and welding in a back half is pretty easy, if you have fab skills.

like i tell all my other buddys with f-bodys... GET A REAL CAR :D

·
68firebird
118 Posts
What do you plane on doing with the car!?? My brother has a stock 1977 trans am and it handles great on the road. I would replace all the bushings with poly and throw in moog ball joints and tie rods. I would keep the stock springs and go with some high performance shocks. The 2nd gen f-bodys are not ridged at all and benefit greatly from sub frame connectors.

I wouldn't remove the rear frame rails unless they're rotted out!

It's all about how much time and money you want to spend. I have a '68 firebird (which i should be posting my build on her :spank: ) that I designed the rear 4 link in solidworks and have building all the pieces in the machine shop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The right rear rail might as well not be there, I was able to tear the bottom off with my hand. The left one seems to be alright but, I might as well replace that one if do the other. If I decide to just replace the rails. And yes, either way I'm am going to tie the frame up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.