Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a '78 Fairmont Station wagon with the V-8. It has an issue with starting when hot and some times will quit when in hot weather. I tried starting it the other day when cool in the morning and no problem. Later in the afternoon, it would kick over and start but as soon as I released the key it quit. After playing with it for a while I could get it to stay running if I didn't let the key fully return to the running position. It seems as long as the key wasn't completely let go to return something was being bi-passed.
Did Ford have anything in the ignition system similar to the Pontiac ceramic resitors for the ignition system that are affected by heat.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
on points cars, yes. they had a 12v bypass.. if the car has it, it would be on the "I" terminal of the starter solonid on the passanger side ( usually ) fender.... what it sounds like to me, is a faulty ignition box.. that car is equipped with Duraspark II ignition, and when the boxes go bad, they'll do that.. get a new Ford/ Motocraft/ Autolite box and not a parts store brand..

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
These had a common problem years ago. The electrical portion of the ignition switch, would start to loosen up where the crimp fittings hold it to the pot metal portion. I am not referring to the wiring harness connection coming from it, but the switch itself. Eventually you will get a no crank situation, when it completely comes apart.

You can check for this, by removing the cover under the steering column, and if need be drop the column down so you can inspect it. Grab the electrical plug, and watch for looseness of the plastic, to the pot metal mounting piece.

A quality replacement part, such as Borg Warner Select, are not very expensive at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.