Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 1978 monte carlo with a 350 in it and i took the wire harness out and i did label the plugs for the motor but the tape i used was cheap and fell off by the time i started putting the harness back in the car and im lost on the starter i have a big post for the positive battery cable and then it has two smaller posts one that has a (R) on it and the other says (S) im guessing the (S) stands for switch....???? i have (3) smaller red wires coming out of the engine compartment harness but i dont know where they go to on the starter PLEASE HELP THANKS i can take pics if that would help

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
On the big starter post you should have the large wire from the battery, and two other wires. The two smaller wires are the power feeds to the fuse box and the power junction (probably on the firewall). If you still have stock wiring, these wires are usually red/orange, and they have a fusible link on the end (almost looks like a barrel-connector near the end of the wire).

The third small wire should be on the S terminal, and it runs to the ignition switch. It is what activates the starter. From what I recall, the stock color is purple, and it will not have a fusible link.

The R terminal is not used on your car if it has HEI (which it should have). It would be used if you have points ignition.

Bruce

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude ur the man thanks yeah i have to stock wire harness found the wires now gonna wire it up thanks again damn local custom shop wanted me to bring it in for them to look at but u solved it thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.