Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend just bought a 78 Mercury Zephyr with an inline 6 (200 c.i.) and automatic. Fri. morning it would not start, the solenoid would buzz when trying to start. They tried to jumpstart it with no luck.
That night I got out the multimeter and checked the battery - 12 volts, and there was power to the solenoid. Also checked the ground cable from battery to motor and the fusible link to the solenoid, which were ok. This morning I tried a new solenoid and starter but it will not start - it acts the same as before.
:confused:
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
sounds like your battery is dead or low. just because there's 12volts at the battery doesn't mean anything. there still could be not enough power to turn over the starter.

JB

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Start

Doc here::pimp:

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Doc :pimp:

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I had an attack of paranoia and checked to be sure the engine will turn over after the new starter didn't work.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Load test

Doc here::pimp:

Try a load test on the battery to be sure it has a deep charge , not just a surface charge. Take it to Autozone or other mega parts store, they'll do it for free ...

Your cables may be corroded inside the insulation, even though the terminals are clean, you would see corrosion where the insulation attaches to the terminals. If so replace them.

Your ground cables should be from the Battery to the starter mount bolt, then a second battery cable ( the type with 2 ring terminals on it) from the starter mount bolt to the frame.All bolted grounds should have a star washer and paint burnished from the mount point.

To test for bad ground, just get a jump start cable, and clamp it from the starter ground, or closest block area, back to the ground terminal.

Don't rule out the possibility that the NEW solenoid or starter may be defective, happens all the time!

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turned out to be the battery. I had initially ruled it out because it wouldn't jump start and it had lights etc. but must've had an internal short. Looked at it this morning and it was totally dead.
Thanks again - Rob

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Good news

Doc here :pimp:

Good to hear you get it fixed!

Thanks for posting back, It may help out the next guy!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You might want to look at those jumper cables to. Look where the wire is crimped into the clamp. If you don't see wire that is about the diameter of a pencil you have junk. The only way the cheapo jumpers will work is to let one car charge the other battery for a while. They can't carry enough juice to crank a car over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts