Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my old one barrel carter carb on my dodge plow truck and have it renstalled but for some reason it'll only start with a little gas poured into the carb. Then it'll run fine but if it dies it won't restart without the splash of gas and then I hear it almost boiling inside of the carb. What did I screw up this time? Any help would be great!

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I rebuilt my old one barrel carter carb on my dodge plow truck and have it renstalled but for some reason it'll only start with a little gas poured into the carb. Then it'll run fine but if it dies it won't restart without the splash of gas and then I hear it almost boiling inside of the carb. What did I screw up this time? Any help would be great!
With the engine OFF, check to see if there's a stream of gas shooting down into the carb when you open the throttle. If there isn't, something's wrong w/the accelerator pump- either the adjustment, linkage, or the pump piston or the check valves.

The sound you are hearing might be the gas hitting the hot floor of the intake, it is heated by the exhaust manifold and after the engine has run, it'll be hot enough to sizzle raw gas if it's poured into the carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.