Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on the restoration of my dream car since I was nine, now I'm 35. I have acquired a very clean .25 mint factory original, no adds, Pontiac FireBird 400 with 4speed. Are there any suggestions on what route to take with the carburetor?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
keep it original

there are not a whole lot of those cars in factory mint condition I do not recall too many issues with the factory carb..and in the future the car will be worth more if it is maintained in the original condition..

Course you do what you want as it is your dream..:thumbup:

take care

OMT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the sentiment from all that have responded about leaving original. I guess I should have gone into more detail. The car seems to have what I would now call hesitation. When I first drove it, it was scary. Now the more I drive it the slower it seems to get. That is just me getting use to it but still, I guess if there were some tweaks I could do to make the car respond quicker it would be nice to know. It appears to have some hesitations between hooking up between shifts. I don't mean to bark the tires, just solid exceleration there is a lot of hesitation in the initial bursts which eventually catch up at 36-700 RPMS. I would like to have more rapid response. Is that a carberator adjustment? I guess a newer improved quad is out of the question since we're staying stock. The car is tight to be as old as it is but, just needs replaced parts you know. Thanks.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Clarification

With a "hesitation" as you describe there could be a number of things that cause that..carb may need a rebuild or the ignition could need some work..might be a timing chain..dunno without actually looking at the car and running it through some diagnosis..

Rebuild or repair or replacement of the existing worn components does not affect the "originality" of the car as far as I know..

The guys who respond to these things are volunteers so you may not get a lot of response right away..Try posting in the engine forum and see if that gets a better result..

Hope it works out for you..

Keep hanging in there:)

OMT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts