Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im trying to figure something out. I have a 79 T/A with a 403. the mods im doing to the motor are calling for a reduction ratio in my final drive...how do i convert my 2.41 to 3.42?? im new to his part of the car so advise is very helpful.

and do normal shops sell these parts? will they be alot?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You have to have the ring and pinion gears changed out in the differential, a new r&p from Motive or Yukon usually runs around $150-200 depending on where you buy it or what kind of a deal you can work out. Summit and Jegs sells them along with several companys on Ebay. Dont know the exact labor charge but I would definately ask around your area as to who does the best work. You didnt say but if you have an o/d trans I would go to a 3.73 set.

·
Registered
71 Posts
one other thing to consider is finding a 78-81 z-28 in the boneyard and yanking the entire rear. every one i ever ran into was either 3:42 or 3:73 and should be a direct bolt in into your trans am. if you do choose to swap gears ive found that 4X4 shops do gear swaps the cheapest and do good work. they do alot of gear swaps so are equipped to do it quickly and right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2.42 uses a series 2 carrier and from 2.76 up (I think) uses a series 3 carrier. There may be a spacer that will allow putting 3.42 gears on a series 2 carrier. Do a little research on this before you jump in. Pete is right about the Z28's being mostly 3.42 or 3.73 posi's. Trans Am's were mostly the 2.42 posi's
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.