Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every gauge but my Fuel and battery gauge aren't hooked up. Somebody before me put in a chevy 350, it used to have a 403. Anyway, they didn't hook the gauges back up. I haven't started poking around yet for how to fix that, been too busy fixing the carb. The carbs almost done though, so thought I'd see if someone could enlighten me on how to fix this so I don't have grope at things in the dark.

·
The Maintenance Geek
263 Posts
You're more than likely going to looking for disconnected
wires under the hood, if you have a DVOM, check each wire
for voltage, with the ignition in the run position, if you've
got less than 6VDC, ground the wire to the block, then
have a look see which gauge is pegged...

K

·
Registered
297 Posts
The fuel gauge sending wire will be pink. Should be under the dash unless someone decided to hack up the wiring. As far as the volt gauge, this will be a red wire I believe. You can look on autozone.com for a wiring schematic for the correct colors of your fuel and volt gauges. Check to see that those wires are there. Do you have the standard gauges or the rally?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has standard gauges, thanks for the help, I think that perhaps because I write porly that you thought I meant that my fuel and batt wasn't hooked up. They are hooked up and working. It's the tach, speed, oil and something else that aren't hooked up.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
On your 79, the speedometer is cable driven from the trans. Probably not hooked up under the dash, or on the tailshaft of the tranny. If it is, the cable may be broken.

Your other gauges, if factory installed, you will need a wiring diagram to show you which wires go where. You will need the proper sending units in the engine....This is probably why the gauges never got reconnected.

When you say "standard gauges" are you saying factory gauges, or aftermarket?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

First, Determine IF the FUSE marked "Gauges Fuse" is in place and not blown...

Next pull , or look under the dash cluster, Determine WHAT the colors are coming off all The "S" terminals of the gauges. Write that color down.

Go to the engine compartment and try to find that color wire adrift..one for Oil, One for Temp, and any other sender you may have..

Connect those to the proper sender..It should give a reading.

BE ADVISED..If the engine was changed, and the 350 supports it own senders, they may be grossly in error..if that occurs, you will need to find senders that are for the original engine, that will fit in to the 350 block to get a proper reading..the sender resistance may not be the same.

IF you have a Digital Dash, you need to crawl under the car and locate the Transducer for the Speedometer, usually in the tailshaft, and isolate the wire going to the speedometer head for signal..BE sure it is not unplugged, it has a good fuse, and is not cut.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts