Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
******* Professional
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
With setup pinion bearings. Looks like 0.0380 pinion shim gave the best pattern, but definitely not ideal. Opinions????? Could play a little with the backlash at 0.0380? what do you think? Going to howl like the old gear set did?

Pinion Shim=0.0300
Backlash = 0.010

Pinion Shim=0.0355
Backlash = 0.008

Pinion Shim=0.0380
Backlash = 0.0075

Pinion Shim=0.0400
Backlash = 0.007

Pinion Shim=0.0400
Backlash = 0.010

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
You're right, .038 looks best, but not ideal. You can try changing backlash, but I think this is probably the best it's going to be.

Is this a 5 step or a 2 step gear? If it's a 2 step then you might need to tighten up the backlash to around .003 to .005. Be sure you know which gear you have.

·
******* Professional
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You're right, .038 looks best, but not ideal. You can try changing backlash, but I think this is probably the best it's going to be.
Is this a 5 step or a 2 step gear? If it's a 2 step then you might need to tighten up the backlash to around .003 to .005. Be sure you know which gear you have.
Hey thanks for confirming what I thought.

I assume this ring/pinion must be a 5-step since backlash specs from the manufacturer is 0.008"-0.010". I did see where the original factory gears for my particular 8.65 S10 rear end had backlash specs of 0.003-0.006 (this must be the 2-step vs 5 step difference you are talking about).

Thanks again.

·
******* Professional
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
The gears were 2-cut. I even called the manufacturer and they confirmed.

Set things up with 0.005" backlash because of the 2-cut gears. Had to cut the centers of new 1960's backing plates oversize to fit on larger register of my 2002 housing end and use both gaskets on the inside (RTV outside), in order to install the Strange tapered bearing c-clip eliminator kit. Rear is now (and still) quiet after several 10 mile drive/cool down cycles. Nose of case around pinion was hottest when done - about 160° per my heat gun. Rear cover is 140°.

One more drive tomorrow evening, and then onto the trailer to go to the track on Friday for T&T.

Thanks to people who helped.

·
******* Professional
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Old GM manuals used to say to shim the diff to zero clearance, and then add 0.004" to both sides.
Would this be true for used bearings? This is how I set up the new gears and bearings per this thread a few seasons ago. Seemed to work just fine as rear stayed quiet and surviving 11.0 second runs for extended time. Getting ready to take out the spool and put a new Yukon posi unit back in for the street. Planning to re-use the carrier bearings. Bad idea or ??? What about the ring gear bolts? Do they need to be replaced? Will have to see how the tapered bearings in the c-clip eliminator kit I used work for the street (they are supposed to, at least marginally).

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts