Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year and model fords came with 8.8: & 9" rears? I'm thinking the GM 10 bolt in my 34 3 window won't hold up long behind a 461 pont. with muncie m20. I'm also hoping the ford rears will be narrower by about 2 or 3". Right now the 10 bolt is about 53 3/4" between backing plates.

Jack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It really depends on the ford you are getting it out of as far as width goes. 53 is pretty narrow for a stock 9". Just remember that the 28 spline cannot be narrowed because it has tapered shafts. I got my 9" off Craig's list for cheap and spent a bunch of money rebuilding the 3rd member and welding on new brackets and then getting it straightened. I would have spent the same in the end going to one of these shops that builds the whole thing for you. There are a number of them out there, and if you give them your dimension's they can build you a rear end for a reasonable price. The axle's stock width at the flanges is 58.5" and I did not have to narrow it for my application
As far as the years go, I am not sure, but most applications like this there is going to be quite a bit of modifications anyway.

·
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw
260 Posts
ford

9'' been around sence 57 . 8.8 came out in mustang in 86 I think. When I was racing talked to abunch of fellow racers. Unless you REALLY hookup the difference is eazy of repair. The dropout 9'' is fixable at the strip[if you have a spare]. The bunch all are about even when you boil it down.MY 12bolt took over 150 runs stock as a stove[no slicks].

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
The PROPER way to measure a rear end is from wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange ... as shown below.

The reason is brake drums vary in width ... messing up the measurement from backing plate to backing plate.

The most narrow 9 inch Ford from the factory is a 57/58/59 Ford car. It is just a little over 57 inches ( measured correctly :) ).

There are many on-line sources for the rear end width measurements but I like this one

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.