Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Yes it's my first post and I'm glad to be here. I just starting a project 32 three window. A few times I've heard that the 8" inch diff from a maverick will give me an excellent width. The plan is to build a fenderless 32. Wide whites, tri power, you know, a 50's style hot rod. If I have to go to the expense of narrowing I would probably pick up a 9". but if the 8" has a perfect width I'll just get it. Thanks for your time and help. Glen

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:)

As one of the Moderators here........let me be the first to WELCOME you here........:welcome:

The Maverick V8 rear in is 56 inches wide. That is from the wheel mounting flange to the wheel mounting flange.

56 inches will work. As a matter of fact..........that is the width that TCI and other frame manufacturers narrow the 9 inch Ford rears down to for their frames.

A 58 inch Ford one will also work. That is what is under my 32 Ford Roadster.

The wheels and tires are UNDER the fenders so a HiBoy 32 would be easy. The 8 inch rear has a limited selection of rear gear ratios and posi's are harder to find ( almost impossible used ). I suggest a 57 - 59 Ford 9 Inch. They are 58 inches. They are stronger, better looking and have bigger brakes. They also come with two different size wheel bearings........standard and large

DEUCE........:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That is invaluable information Deuce. I've allready saved it on my computer. Thanks for your help. I look forward to posting in the future, I'm sure I'll have a million questions. What is your opinion on this. A local gentleman has a 55 k mile diff out of a v-8 maverick available for $125. It's complete with brakes and everything in between and has been sitting in dry storage. Thanks again, Glen

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

$125 is a excellent price.

Most Hiboy cars run a 30 inch or taller rear tire....which cuts the rear gear down a good bit. What ratio gear in under the Maverick ? Most are 2.79.

Available ratios from Ford for the 8 inch are

2.33 *
3.25 *
3.80 *

* denotes ratios I have NEVER seen in person..........:)

As a side note.........whenever Ford Motor Company put over 250 horsepower or so in a car..........they dumped the 8 inch in favor of the 9 inch. EXAMPLE........all early Mustangs came with a 8 inch......except when Ford made the 289 into the 271 HP model....they tooled up a 9 inch for the Mustang.

How much Horsepower are you planning on ??

:)

Here is a photo of a rear ratio tag.

The Maverick rear should have one.........if someone has not " lifted it "

DEUCE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure of the gear ratio. Actually I'm going to see the diff this afternoon for the first time. By the looks of the i.d. tag you posted it will say right on it? Hopefully it's still there. The 32 will see mostly highway usage, rod runs etc. Horsepower will be approximately 300 h.p. and no more. Please be patient with my ford knowledge, I'm a early corvette and chevy II guy but I'm assuming a 56 inch v-8 rear can be identified by the 5 lug pattern? Thank you, Glen

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
b.c.kid said:
I'm assuming a 56 inch v-8 rear can be identified by the 5 lug pattern? Thank you, Glen
I would take a tape measure too .........

A little known fact is that a very few of the 6 cylinder Mavericks came with the 5 lug wheels. Ford had a optional 250 cubic inch six cylinder available in the Maverick. Ford considered the 250 as more powerful and had more torque SO they upgraded the 250 equipped Mavericks with the 5 lug wheels.

Ford Motor Company designed and looked at many factors when building their vehicles.

Rodders should try to do the same thing. If you duplicate what the factory does...........you will have a trouble free and enjoyable rod.

The 4 lug housing does not taper down.......and the 5 lug ones do.

DEUCE..........

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
8 inch in a 32

That 8 inch will easily take a 300 hp engine; Other gear ratios available for an 8 inch include 4.10, 4.25, and 4.56. Doubt you will want to get that deep on the street though. I have known guys to run 8 inch rear ends in stock cars with 429's etc so if it can handle that kind of torque and abuse on dirt, ya got no problem. Summit, for one, sells posi units for the 8 inch, about $450 each.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Re: 8 inch in a 32

Max Keith said:
Other gear ratios available for an 8 inch include 4.10, 4.25, and 4.56.

Yes, but those are aftermarket gears..........not as good or as quiet as a factory FOMOCO gear......:)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
8 incher

There is nothing wrong with the after market gears at all. and if you are getting a lot of noise out of them, then most likely you dont have the clearances set right.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Max Keith said:
There is nothing wrong with the after market gears at all. and if you are getting a lot of noise out of them, then most likely you dont have the clearances set right.
I cut gears for a living years ago. I worked for Zoom...in the late 60's and early 70'[email protected] Darlington SC
I know how to set up gears. :D I also know the runout and involute of aftermarket gears are not as uniform and close to specs as Factory Ford....Ford lapped in their gear sets. Because they could NOT stand a bunch of warranty work for noisy rears. You buy a new car...you expect it to be quiet.....After market gears are NOT lapped and are not as quiet. I have a open car ( roadster ) and you can hear everything.

I will only use factory Ford gears in my cars... :)

·
Administrator
9,806 Posts
are You gettin bored Deuce , answering a 1 year old post or did I miss something?

;) ;)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:confused:

SORRY ...

I looked at another post by Rodfather...( http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-ideal-rearend-32-ford-75949.html ) that is current, and it had a link to this one.....I read it and did not see the old date on this one....

Ford 9 inch rear end posts here are like the Pinto/Mustang II posts over in my area....every other day or two...... :smash: and I just missed the old date on it... :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
9,806 Posts
It happens from time to time..... we've all done it

:mwink:

Deuce said:
:confused:

SORRY ...

I looked at another post by Rodfather...( http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-ideal-rearend-32-ford-75949.html ) that is current, and it had a link to this one.....I read it and did not see the old date on this one....

Ford 9 inch rear end posts here are like the Pinto/Mustang II posts over in my area....every other day or two...... :smash: and I just missed the old date on it... :rolleyes:

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Deuce

MOST 8" housings are NOT tapered.

Only the small chassis cars of the 60s had tapered housings... Falcon, 64-66 Mustangs

Even 62-65 Fairlanes had straight housings....

The 250 Maverick debuted coincidentally when the tiny 6 cyl. rear end was phased out.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
;)

All this about the 8 inch may be true...... :D
I NEVER use them anyway.....

9 inch rears are just too easy to come by to even mess with the 8 inch....
Posi rears are almost non existent and gear ratio selection is limited.

They are light duty rears IMHO .....even Ford thought so.....

:thumbup:

·
Administrator
9,806 Posts
Well , I hope my turbo'd 200 cid Ford 6 cylinder does not break the 8 inch I have in my 1962 Falcon.

If I ever get the motor out of the machine shop

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Crosley said:
Well , I hope my turbo'd 200 cid Ford 6 cylinder does not break the 8 inch I have in my 1962 Falcon.

If I ever get the motor out of the machine shop
Years ago, I replaced a bunch of the 8 inch rears ....under Falcons and Mustangs....helped me pay my way thru school.....

They were 289 equipped , mostly 4 speed cars....
I even redrilled some 57 to 59 Ford 9 inch rears down to the 4 lug pattern for a few 60 - 63 6 cylinder cars that had V8's installed.

Never messed with a turbo Ford.......my Brother had a Turbo GN Buick.... :D

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
rears 8 or 9 or 8.8

i've got a pile of stuff to pick from projects lined up are 23 t bucket with lincoln 9.3 with factory disc 22 t with 9 drum with a box of lincoln 8,8 disc stuff, 84 lincoln 8.8 factory disc. 89 mustang rear with ranger 5 bolt shafts and linc disc. mustang 8 with box of 8.8 lincoln disc parts camero rear with a box of cad eldorado rear disc. most are easy conversions/ I got a steel 31 chevy roadster and glass 32 ford roadster bodies no chassies yet ranger or bronco II parts with other ratios will fit the ford 8.8 stuff Ive got 3 jag rears in a pile in the shop and 2 late xj6 fronts I might build an all independent car out of one

1 - 20 of 22 Posts