Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I click the hubs to lock, jump in ,put it in 4wd and NOTTA ! I try every 4wd setting.. NOTTA only 2 wheeler peeler. I was wondering how I can check to see if indeed going in to 4wd ?, is my transfer case gone ?,,, or what. I took the hub off to see what it does and it is doing what it should turn one way.. it goes in, the other it goes out.. Can anyone tell me what to do to chec the fron 4wd setup ?.. thanx

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
Lock the hubs............Lift one back wheel with a floor jack, put it in 4 wheel...............Try to gently ease it forward. If it feels like its going to move, the front wheel drive is working.

If it doesnt move, have someone look (without getting under truck) to see if the front driveshaft is turning. If it is, your locking hubs are not locking.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Simple but stupid question. Is the front driveshaft even there?

The hubs do wear out, the factory hubs on my Blazer wouldn't engage so I replaced them with heavy duty 7/8 turn Warn hubs.

Do you know which transfer case you have? If it's chain driven is it possible the chain has broken? I don't know how much that actually happens but I suppose it could if it's been abused enough.

·
Registered
179 Posts
it aslo could be the front drive shaft ..... i had one that the splines wher shot in and would not transfer the power to the front axel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE 4wd not engaging

I said in the above post. I thought my old BOLO tranny and transfer case were shot so I replaced the entire drive line from a working 350 tbi/ TH350 setup. I did not change the axles , the front drive shaft is there. I know the 4wd is not engaging.. it spins only the one rear then both (limited slip eaton wannabe posi LOL) I'll jack the truck up , put jack stands under it and try seeing if the drive shaft is moving in the front.. if it is and the wheels don't go then I'll assume I fudged the hubs.. Oh well.. this way I find the true gears, condition of fluid, replace all the ball joints :0.. I'll post back... the drivetrain I put in was out of a working truck.. the frame was bad and it had a rebuilt 350 tbi and rebuilt TH350 with really clean fluid so I converted my ol 81 3/4 propane unit to the tbi/th350 as I wanted auto and hate 700r**** trannies. The rear and front diffs are suppose to be 2:73 or standard gear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have 4wd IF !!!!

I remove the hubs and push the pin in about 1/2 inch further then the hub does, it locks in and I have 4wd.. The hubs are not shoving the gear in to lock... I was told by someone after he inspected it that it may be that this truck had all time locked in 4wd and the tried swapping it to take lock in hubs.. they must have forgot something... Any thoughts? It is like my hub where it shoves the cirle with gears/teeth are 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too short Thanx all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts