Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple weeks ago i brought the Meano home.

Here are a few pics:

after giving it a quick bath to get the 7 years of dirt off of it.

Ready for the hour ride home.

First things first, I dont think it was in the my garage for five minuites and the topper was removed along with the 4 sand bags and other misc crap my dad decided to toss in ther back. And believe it or not, the air shocks still hold air. as you can see in the pic with the rear lifted...

Then got the old seats out so i could get the interior cleaned up... and couldn't help checking to see how the new seats will fit. No the interior will not stay brown/tan it will be black and grey (paint too).

And for the Bad news.
Turns out that there is a bit more rust to deal with. This was all on the side of the car that was up against the wall in my parents garage and i couldnt tell till i got it out of the garage. curse_sign.gif

Oh well, it wouldnt be any fun if it was easy... right? there are a couple other areas of rust, though none are this bad. the underside looks real clean (ill get pictures of that later) just some surfface rust on the frame, and very little surfface rust on the floor/sheet metal.

I made some progress this weekend. while working on the wifes minivan (trying to get a stuborn strut bolt loose... sprayed alot of liquid wrench to break it loose) i decided to spend the time working on the Meano.

changed the oil, was about to chance the spark plugs... pulled one and it looked almost new (must have been changed recently before it was stored) no oil or carbon build up nice brown color. at that i decided to keep the exisiting plugs in there and save the new ones for later. installed a new battery and checked all the electrical under the hood for broken wires, there were none, then checked all the lights and accesories. everything works, except the air which hasnt worked for a while now. then i went to turn it over and make sure that the motor wasnt siezed up for some reason, turned freely. after finding out that the old man put fuel stabilizer and Heat in the tank two times while it was stored i decided to see if it would fire. Not expecting much i turned the key and with a slight tap of the throttle it fired off. Now it did not stay running for more than a few seconds. I had to hold my foot on the throttle to keep it running. I adjusted the idle to allow it to keep running and let it run for anout 1/2 hour, no problems, all seems good (except the carb) which i will be rebuilding, probably later this week. tires are good to go, no dry rot, i guess because it was stored in the garage and not exposed to the sun so they will stay on there for a little bit.

so, at this point i need to rebuild the carb, flush and bleed the brakes, and of course get it liscenced and it will be back on the road (at least then i can use it to go and get parts for the build).

Im glad one of my vehicles is cooperating for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some parts for the meano today.

Future dash, center console, and three (yes im one short) S-10 rims. these rims will be for daily driving for the time being, till i can afford something better. Ill just need tires. all said and done i spend less than $100 on all this stuff.

hopefully i can get the rebuilt carb on tomorrow. ordered one of those brake flush/bleeder (one man brake bleeder tool) should be here this week, then i can flush and bleed the brakes and get this thing road worthy. more updates to come....

·
Registered
9 Posts
a guy here in San Antonio has (had) one of those El Caminos with an LS1/6-spd from a Z28 in it.. VEEERY nice. :)

[edit] Oops, my bad... it was in a Malibu.

You can see more at hpsalvage.com under project vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Mr. Gun... your post has fliped a switch in me. as i mentioned before, i was looking to build approx a 400hp 350. mostly because i thought the fuel injected ls series was too expensive, i have since discovered otherwise.

i have been looking into the LS family of motors and have found that they will fit my plans much better than the traditional carb set up i was looking at.

I have now decided to go with a 6.0 LS, this will give me reliability ( i wont have to mod the motor heavily to get the power i want out of it) Tunability, since it is computer controled, with a laptop. a little undecided on the trans, im leaning towards a 4L60, but that is yet to be decided.

Im glad i found this out now, rather than after to got too far into my other build.

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
81Meano said:
Well Mr. Gun... your post has fliped a switch in me. as i mentioned before, i was looking to build approx a 400hp 350. mostly because i thought the fuel injected ls series was too expensive, i have since discovered otherwise.

i have been looking into the LS family of motors and have found that they will fit my plans much better than the traditional carb set up i was looking at.

I have now decided to go with a 6.0 LS, this will give me reliability ( i wont have to mod the motor heavily to get the power i want out of it) Tunability, since it is computer controled, with a laptop. a little undecided on the trans, im leaning towards a 4L60, but that is yet to be decided.

Im glad i found this out now, rather than after to got too far into my other build.

Thank you!
Hehehe.. No problem. I've seen that Malibu in person and it is extremely clean and well done. Makes me want one just looking at it!

Not sure if you like manual cars, but you can strap a T56 out of a LS1 Fbody or Corvette and 4:11 gears and with the double-overdrive 6-speed still probably manage 25+ mpg while cruising along at 2000-ish rpm. Then head to the track, bolt up some slicks and probably run ... what ... 11's? :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is about what ill end up doing with it... i want a comfortably streetable vehicle, with several of my own custom touches, that i can take to the track and have a little of fun with then drive home and take it to work the next day if i so please.

at some point i will also take it to a track day and run it on the road course too for giggles...

Im not sure if a T56 will fit in my budget, or if i want to go manual that bad... we will have to see how things go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately i havent had much time to work on things lately. I did get a chance to do a little today... Got the Purple tint scraped off the windows, Holy crap that is a pain in the ***! I also finally finished the Carb rebuild, Hopefully ill get that put on next week. this is just temproary fix to get it running and usable while i start to source more parts. Ill be starting on some of the rust in the bed and under the back window in a week or two and do a roll on bed liner. Ill also re tint the windows...

Ill get pics when i get a chance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally some progress, between last night and today i was able to prep the bed and get the Roll on bed liner finished. it was really easy and the end result is prety decent. I think i may still put one more coat on in another hour or two, but at this point i have 3 good coats on it and it looks prety good.

Also got the carb rebuilt... but the results from that are not as good. Im going to order a new carb... something is not right with this one, it runs smooth, just wont idle, and there is no power when driving around the block i had to pump the throtle to get it to even go.

Also i didnt have much luck with the seats...YET! more on that later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.