Hot Rod Forum banner

83-84 L69 305 H.O. - Camshaft and Lifter Replacement

17854 Views 607 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  2001Blazer4x4
Starting this thread to keep track of the process of replacing my flat tappet camshaft and lifters and to ask questions I will have a long the way.
601 - 608 of 608 Posts
Looks good, now you need a Harley. Driving cages is great but a Hog puts wind in your face a flaming hole in your wallet and beat in your heart.

Bogie
Fixed it for you 🙃
Reactions: 1
I Hear you Bogie but. I had bikes for years. It's too dangerous the way people drive these days. You're very limited to where you can go because of it. Not to mention you have 0 protection when a car rear ends you or hits you head on.Happened to two of my friends. I'm not saying You're wrong just stating the facts. You against a 5k pound car or truck you lose every time. I wish you and. all bikers much safety. Ernie.
Yeah my son-in-law eventually died as a result of his injuries when a guy ran a stop sign. Then in court you get the defense that the driver didn’t see him which the judge seemed to accept as a reasonable excuse so I put my mouth in gear to remind the judge that the law says to STOP, you don’t get the choice of “well I didn’t see anything so I just drove through the stop sign”. Anyway it was a long recovery that never quite got there, he spent the last few years of his life in a wheel chair.

At 84 I still ride but not anything like when I was younger. I live in Seattle proper depending on where I’m headed it takes 30 to 60 miles to get into the country. It’s gotten like living in California where from San Diego to Santa Barbara you never really leave a city and it’s angry drivers.

Bogie
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Yeah my son-in-law eventually died as a result of his injuries when a guy ran a stop sign. Then in court you get the defense that the driver didn’t see him which the judge seemed to accept as a reasonable excuse so I put my mouth in gear to remind the judge that the law says to STOP, you don’t get the choice of “well I didn’t see anything so I just drove through the stop sign”. Anyway it was a long recovery that never quite got there, he spent the last few years of his life in a wheel chair.

At 84 I still ride but not anything like when I was younger. I live in Seattle proper depending on where I’m headed it takes 30 to 60 miles to get into the country. It’s gotten like living in California where from San Diego to Santa Barbara you never really leave a city and it’s angry drivers.

Bogie
Condolences on your son in law Bogie
I'm sorry to hear that. Be Safe my friend.
  • Sad
Thank you, that was a long time ago but still fresh.

Bogie
Reactions: 3
Great! It's gotta feel good after all the work and troubles! And if no ticks, no problems with guides at the moment! Looks like the camshaft/lifters was it. How is relative performance before/after? Does it feel any different?
It feels much stronger..
Reactions: 2
Well, I've used two bottles of Blue Devil and it slowed the leak but didn't stop it.. I have already changed my break in oil and it's filter and replaced it with the Lucas hot rod oil and a new filter but I think the Lucas hot rod oil has already leaked out most of it because of this timing cover leak.

I bought a bottle of Lucas Oil leak stop and I'm going to add it with what I have.. or should I just drain the oil and fill the oil pan with the Lucas?

I'm also going to smear some RTV where the oil pan gasket meets the timing chain cover to see if that stops the leaks..
Well, I've used two bottles of Blue Devil and it slowed the leak but didn't stop it.. I have already changed my break in oil and it's filter and replaced it with the Lucas hot rod oil and a new filter but I think the Lucas hot rod oil has already leaked out most of it because of this timing cover leak.

I bought a bottle of Lucas Oil leak stop and I'm going to add it with what I have.. or should I just drain the oil and fill the oil pan with the Lucas?

I'm also going to smear some RTV where the oil pan gasket meets the timing chain cover to see if that stops the leaks..
I'm going to start a new thread on this
Well, bottom line - obviously you have f'd up the oil pan, the timing cover, and lower passenger side timing cover bolt hole when putting the timing chain in the first time a year ago. Looks like your only options are to fix it all or give up. No amount of stop leak or smearing of RTV on the outside of the leak is going to work and oil is expensive. Bolt hole could be a problem. You're not listening to me anymore so I'm out! Good luck and best wishes.
601 - 608 of 608 Posts