Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 83 cutlass supreme with orig. 307. His turn signals quit and when you press the brake the front park lights come on. Seen this before so I replaced the turn signal assembly and harness.Nothing changed same problem. First I checked signal assembly harness,it works normal. Next I checked what I call the car side of Harness at the steering column, the Yellow and green (rear signals) and the double light blue and dark blue (front signals) are grounded out. I used a test light to find this by hooking the alligator clip to a hot source and probed the car side of the column plug the flashers work normal and the brake lights work except when applied the front park lights still come on. What I cant figure out is where can the stop/tail lights circuit fuse with the park lights? Please excuse the spacing I haven't quite figured out how to use this site. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

First, for this type of testing, you can't use a probe lamp..It will read a ground THROUGH the filament of the bulbs and make you THINK you have a ground on a power wire....Get a DVOM..and remove the bulbs..

Most likely you have a short between the front park lamps and the brake lamp system. The brake lamp switch goes through the switch assembly (turn) and is isolated and multiplexed to the rear (only) lamps which share the same filament as the turn signals. If only the front parks come on when you step on the brake lamps, and your sure the switch is good..the only thing it could be is a short in the harness between the turn and brake systems ...

Remove the bulbs, Get your DVOM out and continuity check the harness between the two systems, be SURE you also have the correct bulbs in the sockets.

There is a complete Troubleshoot article on the WIKI you should read that will guide you step by step.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
83 cutlass

Thanks Doc You refreshed my memory of what I should of figured out myself. I will try what you suggested and let you know what I find. You mentioned a troubleshoot article on the WIKI what is the WIKI and how do I get to it? Please bear with me I'm just learning the computer and this site.Thanks again for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts