Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new to the neighborhood and wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to identify whether my Camaro is an RS or perhaps even an IROC. It's a 1984 V8 305 with an unusual U shape on its hood. The outer emblems were removed before I purchased it. Its VIN# is:1G1AP87H4EL238586 Any help is much appreciated as I would like to put the correct emblems on the exteriorer. Email me at [email protected] or posty to me :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I had to guess I would say you probably have a z28 as I don't think they made IROC's until '85. I do know however that you can get any information you would ever need regarding 3rd generation camaros over at <a href="http://www.thirdgen.org" target="_blank">Thirdgen.org</a>

Nick

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm not to familier with these because I never really liked camaros after '74 so I lost touch with them. I don't think a Z-28 ever came with a 305, I beleive all RS's were the 305's, the Z-28 was a step up with a 350 and the Iroc coming in the later years had a 350 with some other goodies like suspention etc. The funny U shape is unfamilier as well, but it could have been an add on or just a different hood that was put on. When you find out anythiung let me know, I'm interested as well. Welcome as well!

HK

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Taken from Thirdgen.org's VIN decoder:
Here are the results for your query on: 1G1AP87H4EL238586
Made in: United States
Manufacturer: General Motors
Make: Chevrolet
Restraint System: Manual belts
Carline Series: Sport Coupe, Z28
Body Type: 2 door coupe
Engine Code: 305 ci V8 LG4 (1982-1984)
4 is the CHECK DIGIT.
Model Year: 1984
Assembly Plant: Van Nuys
Production Sequence: 238586

Although that still doesnt help on the u shape on the hood...could you be more specific and maybe I can help you out. I have owned several third gen camaros and am relatively familiar with them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts