Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive recently bought this camaro with a cracked water jacket. It is a 305. I have a small journal 327 that i built awhilw ago just sitting in my shop. what do you think about putting the 327 under the tpi. What do you think would happen? I would be using the same ho heads and with the heads about 10-1 compression. Will i have to get acam specifically for the combo or will the 305 work ok.

DS

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
The TPI should work fine sitting atop a 327. Not enough Cu.In difference to require new injectors or even a new chip for that matter (though with the more mods you do you'll want to think about reprogramming the chip to help).

Your thinking about reusing the cam? For the low cost of cam and lifter kits Id definitely go with something new. Why have all that nice work hinged by and old camshaft?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your right

i guess i should go with a new cam and lifters. it already has 38lb injectors installed. about the chip where and how much. give me a few examples about cam and lifters. what kind of increase in hp and torque i should expect? i had a tpi 305 awhile ago and it was wicked fast for what it was. my brother has a LT1 camaro. right when i had the other tpi car i could hang with him until he hit third. what should happen this go round?
with a mild cam and a new chip with the 38lb injectors
DS

·
Registered
103 Posts
38lb injectors?!?!?!?!?!?! from what ive read on getting ready to install a TPI on a sbc the stock 305 had 19.5lb injectors 350s had 21? and vettes 23.5? .. 38lbs sounds a little excessive for even a 327 unless you have a cam big enough to bounce you out of your seat! am i missing something here or is that a little extra fuel for a 305. i know summit has injectors up to 72lb. so of course its possible but wow!

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
try year one. they have a catalog just for thirdgen camaro and firebirds. they will have chip for your car. or try ebay. i was going to get a chip off there for like $50. it just got soldered on.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
TPI on 327

Brian Morency said:
i was going to get a chip off there for like $50. it just got soldered on.
Soldered on? :confused: From everything I have ever seen, they pop in place.

Two more things to consider:

1. Depending on the compression ratio of the 327 (say 8.5-1 to 9.0-1), I would probably keep the cam intake duration at about 200*-205* @ .050 if this is a daily driver. And keep the lobe separation angle between 112*-114*. I think a Summit brand cam (made by Crane) would have a couple cams in this range for a good price. Since you have a MAF system stock in that car, as Siggy said, your existing chip will probably work (if you don't get radical on the cam).

2. I also agree with Siggy, the 305 injectors will be fine, if you increase fuel pressure. This is a simple matter of installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck with the TPI. Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im done with the install

as far as the 38lbs injectors go. they were in it when i bought it. it has a large cam and the chip is aftermarket. I can tell you this much about installing this 327 under the tpi. WOW!!!! I installed a possi rear end in and it still isnt hooking up correctly but im getting close. The first time i took it out after breaking in the short block i stopped at a red light when it turned green i stomped it and the rear end slid to the right side while boiling smoke off the rear tires.
The other day i raced a mustang and smoked him like he was a pinto. my compression is about 10.1.. the heads are off a iroc camaro with a 350.

ds

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Torque monsters my friend :).

However they do have their limit with the manifold and runners. Most of the guys on the Corvette forum say you wont get much over 330-340 hp (at the flywheel) without an aftermarket intake of some sort.

The superram and miniram seem to be the most popular. Miniram is more geared towards higher RPM power whereas the Superram produces more low end grunt. It still maintaines higher RPM power pretty well.

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
get that thing dyno'd. i want to see whats it got.

i know my car from a stop if i punch it will roast the tires sometimes one tire and then itll launch hard. and if i look back i will see smoke from the tires or 1 tire. i think my rear is going out because sometimes one tires spins, sometimes both.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Brian Morency said:
get that thing dyno'd. i want to see whats it got.

i know my car from a stop if i punch it will roast the tires sometimes one tire and then itll launch hard. and if i look back i will see smoke from the tires or 1 tire. i think my rear is going out because sometimes one tires spins, sometimes both.
the clutches in your limited slip are probably just wearing out, no big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts