Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i'm diesel guy but i bought a 85 chevy 4wd with a th350. the tranny was bad i pulled it out and haven't been able to find another one yet. i got what i believe to be a 700r4 for free so i put it in to get the pickup driving again. the connector on the drivers side doesn't look the same to me as the one in the lockup kits i've found on the internet. the tranny doesn't seem to perform well. i know i can only pull it down to 2nd when i try to manually shift. once i get moving it works great but it seems to slip off the line. any ideas i could careless if it uses overdrive or not its just the hunting pickup sorry for being long winded

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
drdeer85 said:
Okay i'm diesel guy but i bought a 85 chevy 4wd with a th350. the tranny was bad i pulled it out and haven't been able to find another one yet. i got what i believe to be a 700r4 for free so i put it in to get the pickup driving again. the connector on the drivers side doesn't look the same to me as the one in the lockup kits i've found on the internet. the tranny doesn't seem to perform well. i know i can only pull it down to 2nd when i try to manually shift. once i get moving it works great but it seems to slip off the line. any ideas i could careless if it uses overdrive or not its just the hunting pickup sorry for being long winded

Do you have the TV cable hooked up and adjusted correctly?

A transmission you git for free is slipping? Any idea if the trans was any good when you got it?

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the trans was supposed to be good it came out of a junk pickup with a bad motor. what is the tv cable for exactly. like i said i'm a diesel guy with ag experience this stuff is all new to me. i would have to check again but i thought my electrical plug at 6 pins in it instead of 4 like i saw in the lockup kits.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
drdeer85 said:
the trans was supposed to be good it came out of a junk pickup with a bad motor. what is the tv cable for exactly. like i said i'm a diesel guy with ag experience this stuff is all new to me. i would have to check again but i thought my electrical plug at 6 pins in it instead of 4 like i saw in the lockup kits.

The cable that is hooked to this 700 trans on passenger side near bell housing is a TV cable. TV = throttle valve. This cable MUST be hooked up correctly to the carb /EFI for trans to operate and shift correctly. You will damage the trans if the cable is not hooked up.

If there is an electrical plug on the drivers side of case near shifter linkage... it is a square 4 plug design or a round 5 pin design. 5 pin design is rare,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i must have something totally different then what i thought then because the electrical plug is on the passenger side and there is no place to hooke up a cable of any kind. and like i said before i'm pretty sure it was a 6 pin connector on passenger side of transmission

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.