Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this here so my post count will not go up.
AS some people cried about that.
Anyway on my Daytona the electric plug that goes to the fresh air intake comp .awire thats for the charging circuit gets loose and the car stops charing.if i wiggle it ,it will charge.
Its a multi pin connection.Is there a way to tighten this one pin up?

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
You will need a pin tool like this one to pull the pin and replace it in the socket, there are a million different sizes so make sure you get the right size. In a pinch I have used a knife to cut away the plastic housing to reach the barbs that hold the pin in place and then extract it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Honestly Linda I would take it to a reputable automobile electrics repair shop and have them pull the pin and re-crimp it for you. If the harness connector is remote you could just cut the wire and splice them together eliminating the pin.

Hard to give advice without seeing the actual application and the type of plug. You could also use a fine tool to reach inside the connector and re-crimp it that way, not too much though...the pins are brass and very brittle.

As for your post count, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks...this is a legitimate automotive question and deserves to be in the correct electrical forum.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work at a repair shop. One guy tried to crimp it.Thanks chuck
i will get that tool,it looks like it will work .
Thank you for the reply.

·
Banned
431 Posts
4 Jaw Chuck said:
You will need a pin tool like this one to pull the pin and replace it in the socket, there are a million different sizes so make sure you get the right size. In a pinch I have used a knife to cut away the plastic housing to reach the barbs that hold the pin in place and then extract it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Honestly Linda I would take it to a reputable automobile electrics repair shop and have them pull the pin and re-crimp it for you. If the harness connector is remote you could just cut the wire and splice them together eliminating the pin.

Hard to give advice without seeing the actual application and the type of plug. You could also use a fine tool to reach inside the connector and re-crimp it that way, not too much though...the pins are brass and very brittle.

As for your post count, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks...this is a legitimate automotive question and deserves to be in the correct electrical forum.;)
you know, you may or may not like me, because of the crap a while back, but i've got to respect a guy that doesn't take all of the BS to heart and continues to help in anyway that he can.

i mean if i were you, i wouldn't have even looked at this post. but you took it one step further and actually went out of your way to answer it. that says a lot about a person and my hat is off to you brother.

i apologize for what i said a while back and i think Linda should also, and finally put all of this old BS behind us. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes im glad you brought that up Akm .Yes chuck im sorry for any thing i did wrong and thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
BS? What BS?

I'm no elephant.:thumbup:

BTW Linda, that pin tool I posted a link too is the cheapest thing on the market but works in a pinch, the best tools are solid tubes and cost a few more beans. Many electronic guys hate the cheap pin tools since they seem to get two pins out before they are trashed and they don't have the extractor pin to push the pin out, in your instance it's likely all you need. Just beware they don't take abuse. Getting the pin out with the cheap tool is a bit of an art, with the expensive tool its a piece of cake.

The good ones look like this and cost about $10.00.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Buying the tools?

Always buy the GOOD tools. I have had the cheap stuff fail so I NEVER buy the junk only the good stuff.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
77 Posts
when you haven't a lot of money, and you need a tool right now, the cheap tools have to do.

and it sounds like she needs a tool for a car she needs for daily transportation. no car/no work/no money.

not ragging man, but thats my .02 cents

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
when your post count is only 5 no one cares. It's when you start edging on the top ten that people get uneasy. j/k
Hey getto, you just put this post in so you could gain on me....................so I just got you back...

I know, it's the lounge and doesn't count.

BTW...........a few more p[osts and I am back to #3...........hee-hee-hee

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
IF I HAD A CHOICE BETWEEN A 10 DOLLAR WILL LAST tool, or a 3 dollar will work once or twice if i'm lucky tool, i'd go with the ten dollar tool, provided i could spare the ten ducketts.

five bucks might as well be a million when you don't have it.

one of these years, i won't live paycheck to paycheck.:pimp:

another worthless post.:thumbup:

4 Jaw Chuck said:
I'm no elephant.:thumbup:
that's not what big molly down at the brothel says about you.;)

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
crazy larry said:
...that's not what big molly down at the brothel says about you.;)
I noticed her watching me do my no hands push ups earlier, have to remember to close the drapes.:p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks chuck i bought the better one today,it worked great.
Now my car is working again.Thank you ,you really know your
tools.I got the better one as i can use it at work also.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
poncho62 said:
You must have a big nose.................................
I sure hate those rug burns on my...nose, yea thats it!:thumbup:

Glad to hear you got it fixed Linda, a good mechanic can never have too many tools.:)

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
poncho62 said:
Hey getto, you just put this post in so you could gain on me....................so I just got you back...

I know, it's the lounge and doesn't count.

BTW...........a few more p[osts and I am back to #3...........hee-hee-hee
Hey Poncho if I said hi to as many people in the Intro Forum as you do I'd still be on your heels.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
Hey Poncho if I said hi to as many people in the Intro Forum as you do I'd still be on your heels.
goshdang! you mean those count?!!!:smash:

hey Tripod, er uh 4Jaw, she never mentioned pushups.......

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
"That's my job, man"...................it's also my job, to move their posts to the proper forum when they start asking questions right off the bat.

I don't think that they count anyways..."Introduce yourself" is part of the lounge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts