Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I got a 85 buick regal with a 3.8l V6. I have rebuilt the engine with 9.5 comp. ratio changed it to 4 barrel a cam and hedders.It sound pretty mean but I can not do a burn out.Today I changed my rear end from a 2.73 to a 3.42. I help alot but still the tires grip. What else do I need to do!!!I spent alot of $$$ already.By the way I have a th200 tranny.Can't anyone help?!!

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
3800 lb car, 3:42 gear, V-6 even with 4bbl. and headers - no tire spin (with decent tires). A fact of life. == I once had a 400 Pontiac Catalina that wouldn't spin a tire either. Won a lot of bracket races with it

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a Fiero with a 350 SBC and I have to try to spin the tires, it just squats and goes. How is the performance otherwise? No wheel spin isn't always a bad thing, if you want to spin your tires add a little water. You can use an old windshield washer to spray the tires without anyone noticing ;)

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
1800 is what most factory converters stall at... some 1500....

Really the 3.8 needs the Turbo and SFI to be a real performer... lots of technology went into the GN's to make them what they were

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
hungrietaz said:
I'm thinking to switch to a 2004r tranny that might help I think the converters on them are 2000 maybe?
The TH200/200C and TH2004R have the same 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear ratios. If you have a TH200C W/Lockup Torque converter you can use a 2004R, stock D5 or B15-HS converter that came in the Buick GN/T-Type which has about 2025rpm stall. http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/B15-HS.html
Or higher stall aftermarket converter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SSedan64 said:
The TH200/200C and TH2004R have the same 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear ratios. If you have a TH200C W/Lockup Torque converter you can use a 2004R, stock D5 or B15-HS converter that came in the Buick GN/T-Type which has about 2025rpm stall. http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/B15-HS.html

So now I'm going to get a 2004r and I got to choose the right stall converter for it for some fuel mileage. What would be good for this maybe a 2200-2500rpm would work? Now that I changed the rear end gear my speedometer is way out of wack.How can I fix this?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
hungrietaz said:
SSedan64 said:

So now I'm going to get a 2004r and I got to choose the right stall converter for it for some fuel mileage. What would be good for this maybe a 2200-2500rpm would work? Now that I changed the rear end gear my speedometer is way out of wack.How can I fix this?
The 2004r 4-Speed O/D trans uses a torque converter with a Lockup clutch inside so while cruising in 4th gear the torque converter can be locked up like a manual trans's clutch and provides a little better mpg. Non lockup TC's slip about 200-300rpm at cruise speed.
The 2200-2500rpm stall wont affect your cruising mpg but,may affect it around town. Remember a small engine with low torque wont neccesarily stall like a larger engine so a converter rated @3000rpm stall may only stall 2500rpm or less.
To correct your Speedo with the 2004R look here. > http://www.montess.org/speedo_gears.html
Other gear info > http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/speedo_gears.asp
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/components/speedometer_gears.asp

·
Registered
187 Posts
All you really need is a set of Hoosier slicks and some veggie oil! That oughta do it! Reminds of my days at arbys.....I used to drive a 1990 mustang back in high school. had the 2.3L 4 banger with 3.73 rear gears and a 5 speed. I work the late shift, and at 11 when we closed Id go out and pull up in the drive thru, and my supervisor would jump out the window with a jug of fry oil and pour it in front of my tires. then I'd pull forward onto the oil....rev it up to about 4200 and pop the clutch. That weak american 4 banger would pull a decent burnout for about 10 seconds lol. It was fun anyway...

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Smoking the tires?

Photo I post here is my 1962 Falcon as i warm up the tires at the drag strip.. yep, both tires are spinning.

200 cid inline six cylinder with a C4 trans , 4.11 gears with posi in 8 inch differential.

Burn outs are in second gear , throttle on the floor.

:D

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
hungrietaz said:
I can not do a burn out. *snip* Can't anyone help?!!
Yeah- for one thing, the rear brakes are likely adjusted tight, so w/your foot hard on the brake, you are fighting the rear brakes- not just traction!

To do a burnout, you only use just enough brake to hold the car from rolling. If you still have too much rear brake, I'd advise you spend $75 on a line lock and use it. I guarantee you, it'll do a burn out then. This is a better option than just readjusting your rear brakes so they're not as effective.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
second on that tranny upgrade replacement

dumpt that 200c for a 2004r or th350 with 6" tailshaft as soon as you can

the 2004r has a deeper nicer first gear ratio though so it may break the tires loose then

the 3/8 just doesnt have the torque output in stock form

the 305 engines did great for spinning the right rear tire off the wheel in stock form especialyl with the crappy 2.41 to 2.73 ratios in the cars like the 80s caprices etc in which ive owned billions of and they always smoke the right rear off

you either have really good pavement traction or the engine is just not strong enough int he bototm end lower rpm to do it
if it were my car i would opt for a different powertrain combo for it

like a 350 or 400 olds pontiac or chevy out of any 70s or 80s gm car

exhaust is the only real issue when doing this

yours should be the oldsmobile 231 3.8 and not the chevy 229 3.8

i ahve owned one of each and i preferred the 229 over the 231 it just ran stronger and was very reliable unlike the issues with trhe 231 such as failing oil pumps and so on

my 231 was in a 85 cutty 4 door i junked evne though it was absolutely mint condition but the oil pump siezed in it of course

the 229 was in an 84 impala and it was awesome drove it every day so smooth and reliable i miss it im stupid for selling it, i converted it from the computer controlled 2 jet and hei to 79 older non ESC carb and hei from an older 229(HEI) and olds engine(2 jet)

85 cutty 4 door:

84 impala from this:

to this:

this is just all my $.02 from my own experiences. hope any of it may help somehow

have fun

:evil:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that would work with a line lock because the car seems to be trying and it's almost at the breaking point to spin the tires.It's funny It never cross my mind that the rear brakes would be holding it DUH!!! That might just do the trick.I'm still going to put a 2004r just to lower the rpm's. I figured how to fix my speedo problem,all I need is a GPS they give out your exact speed!! He he! Thanks to all who replied!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.