Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Start with a goal in mind, a budget, then decide how to get to the goal with that budget.
I'd find a reputable company and start asking questions.
How far are you wanting to go? 2" seems popular

·
Registered
619 Posts
Easy/cheap method: Chop a coil or so off the front springs, they come right out if you block up the frame then drop the a-arm pivot shafts with a floor jack. For rear, extended rr shackles and notch the bed reinforcement channel if you need to, maybe you need to put a wedge in the spring mount to keep the pinion angle good or maybe you don't. That was good enough for a dually I had back when, I didn't want it "slammed" or to get into geometry issues, just down a bit from stock. Beyond that, used drop spindles can be found or new ones purchased, and the front leaf spring mount modified or changed for lowering. Yeah, check the more-specific sites for more info.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Chopping coils stopped being practical 30 years ago. You can order coils cheap enough with the proper spring rate at a a shorter height for around $100(G body guys have been running shorter s10 coils for years) . But in most instances a drop spindle is enough.

A drop spindle maintains the front suspension and steering geometrty and is the easy way to drop 2". Past that you can use shorter height with the same spring rate coils to drop another inch or so. After that your changing the geometry a good amount and need to customize stuff.

On the rear. A axle flip going from the leafs on top to the leafs under the axle will give 2 to 3" of drop. After that you can use spring sliders(perfered) or shackles and longer springs(same overall spring rate) to drop the rear bumper down. Then you get into custom suspension geometry to go lower.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Chopping coils stopped being practical 30 years ago. You can order coils cheap enough with the proper spring rate at a a shorter height for around $100(G body guys have been running shorter s10 coils for years) . But in most instances a drop spindle is enough.

A drop spindle maintains the front suspension and steering geometrty and is the easy way to drop 2". Past that you can use shorter height with the same spring rate coils to drop another inch or so. After that your changing the geometry a good amount and need to customize stuff.
Yes, dropped spindles are the way to go, and the aftermarket sells shorter stiffer springs for more drop if you need it.

On the rear, I would suggest lowered leaf springs instead of dropped hangers and shackles, unless you're OK with cutting the bed support for shackle clearance. Been there, done that on a 82 C10, and I wouldn't do it again.

A good vendor for dropped rear leaf springs is Ride Tech. They also make complete lowering kits. Very expensive but easily the best stuff available. 1973-1987 GM C10 Archives

1 - 6 of 6 Posts