Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 z28 with a 5 speed 4.56 gears, mini spool, 27'' slicks, stripped interior except carpet and door panels. What can i take out of the doors they are heavy, and can i put lextan glass in the hatch of the thing and be race and street? how do i move the traction bar (that is from the tranny to the rear) can i move it up or down for traction, it keeps smoking the sh** out of the tires even at 30 or 40 mph? I understand there is a brace in the door (crash brace) i can cut out how do i do it? how can i get the tires to sit all the way under the the car. i have 10'' rims and they sit out 2'', it looks good but it would be better if they sat under the car. there is just no room. I am planing to run 11 flat and then i want to run a 150 shot of NOS. Like i said i am running 27'' slicks should i run 29s or 30'' slicks if so HOW?

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Get the Lexan rear glass,if your local ordinances allow it.The doors are extremel;y heavy on those,as is that hatch.Find fiberglass replacement for the hatch to free up some weight.I have a bud at work who has an 82 z28,I will not see him until tomorrow,if there are no replies by then I will find out all he did.He is in the 11's.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
how do i move the traction bar (that is from the tranny to the rear) can i move it up or down for traction,
It's called a torque arm. You can move the front mount on the tranny up to add reload to the arm to help wit forward traction.

As the rear rotates under power the front of the arm pushes up in the middle of the chassis and help pick up the front end applying more weight to the rear tires. You can also change the location side to side to adjust how much each rear tire is loaded. torque arms are very sensitive so make small changes of less than 1/2.

The rear rotates under deceleration as well. So be mind full when rolling out of the throttle you can reduce the load on the rear so much to make the chassis loose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So you are saying that all i have to do is put a small spacer under the tranny mount then? (like a metal shim)

also what do i do about the power windows. do i just change to crank doors or just take out the dumb things. if i do take them out the weather will get to it? do the race tracks require a hatch back battery container vented to the outside with a cutoff switch?

thanks everyone

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
You want windows in that car,drag would be great if you left them out,You can get Lexan side windows.Where is your local track?They would be the best to ask about the rules.If not required,the vent and shutoff switch are still a smart way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.