Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
This is my story, I have a 1979 XJ6 Jag the 6 banger and auto are out and I have sitting in my workshop a 1985-86 350 TPI engine and auto out of a Corvette. That was the easy part, I have engine mounts and other brackets coming to me to help drop it in the Jag. The million dorrar questions are: What auto did GM use behind these engines in the corvettes and would anyone have a 86 Corvette wiring diagram they could email to me because apparently in Australia no one have never seen one of these engines

Regards Bruce

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Since you will have to fabricate your engine and transmission mounts, you can choose from about 5 different automatics. The 700R4 as mentioned, a 200R4, a Turbo 350, or 400 or even an old power glide. There may be a bit of variations in the flex plate bolt patterns, ie a flex plate for the power glide would not work on the overdrive trannys and some of the older flex plates for the T 350 and 400 may not as well. As for as wiring for the EFI, I highly recommend ordering the Painless Wiring kit which comes complete with wiring instructions. The EFI wiring is basically stand alone and only requires a ground wire, a fused battery lead and a switched power wire to hook into the rest of the vehicle electrics. If you have the original wiring, you could unwrap the bloody mess and locate the three leads that go "outside" the system. (You have the big bundle that plugs into the computer and from there, most of those wires go to the injectors and to the sensors (coolant temp, idle air control, throttle position, inlet air temp, oxygen, speed, and possibly oil pressure) The ground wire will be black and will have an eye on the end. The fused battery lead will be a fairly heavy wire and probably red. The switched power will be a lighter wire and I think is purple. There may be a medium sized red wire and ground that goes to the fuel pump.

Trees

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
you will also need to get you computer prom re programed or get a diffrent computer, you will need VATS taken out and can have chip tailored to your motor. My buddy has this motor swap in a 82 c-10 looks sharp and he has a TH350 trans

·
Registered
948 Posts
71 c-10 said:
you will also need to get you computer prom re programed or get a diffrent computer, you will need VATS taken out and can have chip tailored to your motor. My buddy has this motor swap in a 82 c-10 looks sharp and he has a TH350 trans
VATS never came into effect until 90 or 91. All TPI f-bodies and vettes had a 700-r4 behind them if they were auto. Forget about the painless kit its way overpriced and if your is no good there are always some on eBay or you could try here. I have a TPI swappers guide in a box somewhere i'll fish it out after work tonight and scan the diagram for ya.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Do you have the original Corvette ECM? If so, I would recommend getting a Painless Harness like Trees said. You will not need a custom chip if running the stock engine with the donor car ECM. But you will have to research the VATS issue. Not sure if 85-86 was applicable. If it is, that will be a problem and it will need to be deactivated (by you or a chip burner).

If you do not have the original ECM, I would recommend converting the EMS (engine management system) over to the Holley C950 system. The system you will need is P/N 950-101 system which is for GM TPI engines, and is about $968 (Summit Racing P/N HLY-950-101). You may wish to consider the C950 option even if you have the donor ECM and/or harness.

The 950-101 package includes the ECU, software, base maps, harness, MAP sensor, air temperature sensor, 3-wire heated oxygen sensor, and main relay. Because it is designed for TPI systems, it also includes the adapter harness (P/N 950-138) for small cap HEI distributors, if that is what you want to run. But you should be able to use the large cap HEI distributor that is most likely on that engine, as long as it is an electronically controlled HEI.

I know it's easy tell someone else to spend a grand, but you will be money ahead in the long run. By the time you get a Painless harness and chip (if needed to delete the VATS), you'll be close to the C950 and have no emulation ability in tuning (live tuning). You can opt to tune the EPROM yourself, but you need to buy equipment and learn how to do it. This is a moderate expense, depending on if you want the ability to tune live. DIY-PROM also has a large learning curve.

The C950 is a speed-density system and can emulate and this will let you dial in the engine no matter what cam, heads, etc. you have at the time. And the C950 will give you the option to add Wideband O2 later if you want. The C950 will make for a very clean swap with few headaches.

If you have a 700R4 and use a lock-up converter, with the C950 you will have to get a stand alone lock-up kit (B&M, TCI, etc.), or go hydraulic lock-up, or no lock-up. The C950 also does not require a VSS input signal, whereas a stock ECM really needs VSS to operate properly.

Here is some information on DIY-PROM (my experience): http://www.tpisuburban.edgesz28.com/tuning/suburban-tuning.htm

Here is a page showing my conversion to a C950 EMS for my Camaro: http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesz28/fuel.htm

EDIT: This article is linked on my DIY-PROM page, but it is a great summary of the DIY-PROM process. Lots of terms, equipment and resource links. http://www.tpisuburban.edgesz28.com/tuning/chips_know_it_all-200.pdf

Best of luck, Ed

www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
380 Posts
You know, this engine or something similar was used in some Holdens over the years. You may be able to swap some local parts that will work also.

fat kitty said:
Thanks a lot guys this info is invaluable and puts light at the end of the electrical tunnel.
I will go and investigate these links you have left :thumbup:

Thanks Bruce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.