Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 El Camino
305 Eng with mild cam, Edlebrok Dominator intake, stock qJet

When the engine is at operating temp I can let off the peddle such as approaching a stop light and I hear what sounds like a lonely whale under the hood. Like eeee ooooooh. OK quit laughing now! This only happens when the car decelerates. It sounds like some pressure of something is being let off somewhere. I also see the temp gauge go way past safe, letting up on the peddle will cause the temp to go back down. I have not been able to consitantly relate the temp and the sound.

Have tested the radiator for exhaust . . . none to be detected.
Coolant level does not seem to be going down.
I am about to take off the intake manifold to look for an incorrectly installed gasket.

Any ideas? Stop me before I waste time taking off the intake.

thank you,
Zoomer

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
This is a long shot only by personal experience. Is the resivoir to the radiator blocked or plugged off? it`s designed to be vented, which is the purpose served by the resivoir and vented radiator cap. If it`s not working, not only will it make sounds, it`ll also overheat.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Check your bottom radiator hose by sqeezing it and see if it colapses. The spring inside it may be rusted and pinching off the coolant flow when the water pump is trying to pull coolant out of the radiator. If you have a ribbed hose don't worry about it because they don't normaly have that problem.
Another thing to check is the ground strap from the engine to the firewall.
I droped a motor into a dodge dart once and everytime I put it in reverse or decelerated my lights would dim, radio would quit, and my gauges would go haywire. It took me a month to figure out I forgot to hook it back up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update: 86 El Camino 305 Eng Makes Whale Noises

All
I have done a couple of things. Looked at the cap on the radiator over flow . . . looks good . . . can can blow bubbles from the hose with no resistance. I was unable to observe a collapse, but I have changed the lower radiator hose. The old one was easily squeezed by hand. Guess what . . . they do not make a lower hose with a spring in it anymore. Crap! So I bought a universal one with a spring. The spring does the job but does not go all the way the the ends. I did a test 30 min drive. The temp went way up just once then settled down and seemed to be steady at about 220. I did not hear the lonely whale . . . but the jury is still out. Will run it tomorrow. I do not like this universal hose so I will go to a junk yard and look for one with a spring. Can you point me to a place where I could buy a new spring reinforced hose?

I will look at ground strap (tach is intermittent too) tomorrow. If I hear him, I will also take the air cleaner off. But I do not understand this suggestion.

thanks for the input,
hope to return the favor,
Zoomer

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
The spring doesn't have to go to the ends. It just needs to support most of it in the middle. The spring in the hose is an old school way they used to support the center of the hose (sorry, I'm old school too) Now they have a ribbed hose for support. no need to search the junk yard. Have you done some work on the cooling system lately? You might think about replacing the thermostat. The 305's came factory with 195* stat. I assume you know that the copper end goes down in the manifold, right? I had a problem with my 88 F/bird 305 like yours (minus shamu) same temp spikes and found the radiator was mostly pluged up from lack uf maint. when I bought it. after blowing all my coolant out during an auto cross race with a huge leak from core to the end tank I bought a new one for around 100 bucks. when I put it in I was amazed how much more stable the temp ran. If you change the stat, get a good one from a good store like NAPA. I have seen stat's made in mexico, Isrial, (that's right, kosher!) that didn't work worth a dam. Your bottom hose now, should be ok. It's not uncommon that when you start off when cold for the temp to climb up to 220-240 untill the stat opens the first time. Then it should stablize at 195 to 200. Remember, your working on a 24yrold car and things are going to go bad and the cooling system is one of the first things to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sqzBox
Got the loneley whale noise this morning.
First run from cold, temp when up to about 250.
Came to a stop and she starts whalin' at me again but not as loud.
Pulled from stop and temp went down.
Ran into the store, temp went up to 260 then back down to 220.

Ribbed hose? The local autoparts don't know what that is. Can you point to to an online picture or place to buy? <thank you>

Some history. Bought the car, threw the old engine out. Had a remanufactured one delivered to my house. New radiator, new water pump. I had suspected the radiator so I put another new one in. The temp sensor was on the top of the manifold just behind the distributore. It has since been moved to between the cylinders on the block.

Here is where it gets interesting. I took it to a shop to plug up the oil leak around the round part (in front) of the oil pan. yadda yadda yadda they determined there was a head gasket leak. Big story leap, will explain later. Anyway, they started a fire with a spark from the distributer yadda yadda yadda This is why I am suspecting some manifold gasket malfunction.

Today I will get another thermostat. Maybe a lower temp one.

Results later,
thank you for helping,
we will solve this problem . . . I like my "cruck",
Zoomer

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
zoomer56 said:
I will also take the air cleaner off. But I do not understand this suggestion.
Just shootin' in the dark. It is possible that the contour of the air cleaner and entry into the carb air horn is creating a noise. As you back off the loud pedal, manifold vacuum goes up
and a big gulp of air is rushing past the assembly. You said you wanted to try cheap stuff. Removing the air cleaner assembly is cheap stuff.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
If you can imagine an elephant running with his trunk straight out and hiting a wall with it, that is what a ribbed hose would look like.
DAVEMAN could be on to something. Check that fan clutch (if you have one )
and see if it has alot of play in it (pull back and forth, front to rear) and see if wobbles on the shaft.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
zoomer56 said:
sqzBox
Got the loneley whale noise this morning.
First run from cold, temp when up to about 250.
Came to a stop and she starts whalin' at me again but not as loud.
Pulled from stop and temp went down.
Ran into the store, temp went up to 260 then back down to 220.

Ribbed hose? The local autoparts don't know what that is. Can you point to to an online picture or place to buy? <thank you>

Some history. Bought the car, threw the old engine out. Had a remanufactured one delivered to my house. New radiator, new water pump. I had suspected the radiator so I put another new one in. The temp sensor was on the top of the manifold just behind the distributore. It has since been moved to between the cylinders on the block.

Here is where it gets interesting. I took it to a shop to plug up the oil leak around the round part (in front) of the oil pan. yadda yadda yadda they determined there was a head gasket leak. Big story leap, will explain later. Anyway, they started a fire with a spark from the distributer yadda yadda yadda This is why I am suspecting some manifold gasket malfunction.

Today I will get another thermostat. Maybe a lower temp one.

Results later,
thank you for helping,
we will solve this problem . . . I like my "cruck",
Zoomer
like someone else mentioned, either fan clutch or the thought of the impeller on the water pump is broken. would explain the hot temps with the noise your talking about.
another thought about the noise, are you running the factory air cleaner? does it have a flap in the snorkel part of it? ive seen that flap not want to open and cause that kind of noise, especially if the heat riser tube from the manifold to the air cleaner is not there or hooked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some pics

Remanufactured engine delivered to CA from WA.
Some legal headers with an encorportated O2 sensor.
Mild cam.

I bought a 180 thermostat. Will get a hayden fan clutch tomorrow from Kragen.

will post results

Oh yeah, the heat riser is connected to the air cleaner, but I have disconnected the vacuum hose so the valve stays open.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update #2: 86 El Camino 305 Eng Makes Whale Noises

tnsmith10 and daveman111
I did two things: 180 thermostat and new thermostated Hayden fan clutch. Test drive last night and to work today . . . no lonely whale sounds. I'll give it another day drive to work before I am satisfied. I think it was the fan clutch.

There are still temperature spikes up to 240 and 260. When it is not spiking it settles around 205. New radiator and ribbed hose with molded in spring . . . so the next thing I will try is a high flow thermostat. Ordered a 180 high flow from opgi.com for $20 delivered.

Another thought, it is possible the radiator is just a bad fit for the vehicle or just badly manufactured (bought two from the same place for this specific vehicle). It is new and just like the other new one. I have one sitting on the garage floor. Is there a way to test it off the engine for flow? How can I test the one in the car for flow?

How simple is the cooling circuit anyway . . . do you have an on line source to explain the cooling system with pictures and arrows?

thanks all,
not giving up,
zoomer,

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Are you SURE your putting the thermostat in correctly? Copper end down in the intake? For all you've done, it should be running exactly what the stat. says 180* or 190* whatever you have in there now. Only thing I can think of is get a temp. probe (cheap at auto zone looks like a meat thermometer) take the radiator cap off, let the engine warm up good until you see coolant flow and hold it down in the coolant and check the temp just to see if the gauge is wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sqzbox

Good picture . . . the old one was put in correctly with the 190 deg stamp down and I swear I put the new 180 deg in the same way. The pointy end up, the bigger part down into the engine.

Friday I will investigate with a thermo probe as you suggest. Hope to get the high flow thermostat in the mail Friday also.

will post results,
zoomer

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
i noticed that in the pics you showed that your running a smog pump. how tight is the belt? if its too tight it will make noise. its really rough on the inner bushings. another thought is possibility of a bad diverter valve.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.