Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all else fails get a bigger hammer
Aright i got a C-4 Transmission for my 1986 Mustang with a 351W I Blew two AODS so i decided to step up and now im confused I have a Hammer shifter from B&m do i need a new kit to make the overdrive and ****er to hook up also my dipstick tube wont fit either i was told it will all bolt right together well that wasnt the truth and now my car has been sleeping for 4 months so when i have time i need to know what i need to do bc i want it back on the road help me out

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
AOD to C-4

If your AOD has 3 forward gear detents this will apply. Since the C-4 doesnt have an OD and the OD on the AOD has an electric lockout button, you dont need to hook up the OD wires. Bind them over and wrap them with tape, or unplug them from the shifter if possible. Not too sure about the neutral safety switch on them.
You will need the correct dip stick tube for your C-4. Is yours a pan mount or does it mount in the transmission itself? A quick trip to the junk yard should take care of that problem. Just be sure to get the dipstick with it as well.
I am guessing that the shifter should work on your engine, as I have found that about all Ford automatics are pretty much the same as far as the linkage throw goes. I dont know a lot about the AOD's. The easiest way to find out if the shifter works will be to just hook it up and try it out. (The shifter throw thing doesnt include the automatics with 4 forward detents).

·
Registered
427 Posts
The shifter should very close.
There are no electrical wires for the OD.
Adapt the safety switch wires to the C4. They will have to be cut and spliced.
Dip stick/ tubes are different.
You also need a line for engine vacuum to the modulator.
The AOD uses a cable/rod for throttle pressure while the C4 uses it for kick down. Settings are different for each.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
AOD to C-4

Is it the AODE then that has the electric lockout on the OD? My 94 T-bird has an electric lockout switch for the OD, as well as my sons 93 Mustang.

I forgot about the vacuum line for the modulater.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
AOD to C-4

Thanks.
All these newer transmissions with all the different letter/number designations get me kind of twisted around. Not all that familiar with the newer ones other than basic operational philosophy.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Tranny designations

We need to dig the good stuff out of two or three different threads and build a tranny translation thread:

for example AOD becomes AOD-E becomes 4R70W

C5 = C4 with lock up converter

C6 becomes C6OD becomes 4R100....

It actually makes sense if you can piece enough of it together....or maybe that's the mushrooms getting to me....

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
C6OD was the inside-Ford name when they added the fourth speed to the old C6 -- became the 4 speed automatic truck transmission, I forget which year, mid 90s probably. They may never have advertized or published that externally, but that was what it was called in house during development.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.