Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
It wasn't bad, cost wise.
I know a guy, that knows a guy. lol
Now it is picking heads and cam. Mostly have to be honest with myself on the vehicles use. and not go over the top, as it will be mostly street driving , with a few track days

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It wasn't bad, cost wise.
I know a guy, that knows a guy. lol
Now it is picking heads and cam. Mostly have to be honest with myself on the vehicles use. and not go over the top, as it will be mostly street driving , with a few track days
Im using Straubs recommendation.
He has some new people working for him, and has a 220cc head available real soon.
He also has some other stuff in the works for big SBCs early this year, but it sounded a bit radical.
The "race" cam I have in my 406 right now that he has available, sounds and behaves like the 276 comp I had in a 350. Just makes quite a bit more power.
It was easy to tune, and even my wife can drive it.
Im about to show her one of my favorite things to do.
Rolling 2nd gear, 200 yard burnout!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After a long road trip to South Texas, we made it back late last week. 1 day before the Arctic Blast hit. It hasn't even dropped below 33 here in NC.
But today I think I'm gonna put my new exhaust on.
1 3/4 inch long tubes, 3 inch X Pipe with Magnaflows all the way out the back...
Will post progress later today.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
One side, and crossmember, are done. Its a tight fit, but I didn't scratch it that bad at all.
Hopefully the left side is a little easier!
I bought a Mini Starter for the car, but won't work on the 305. That big fat original starter barely squeezed in there. Gonna get me some stubby plugs too today.
I wonder how much power I will lose going full 3inch on this little V8? LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally finished this.
I've never installed headers that were easy, and this car definitely has way less room than my truck. But, all in all it only took me 4 days!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looks good, I am guessing you didn’t have to notch the frame to make the headers fit
The Dougs Headers fit really nice.
The Headers were far from the frame. They are very close to the upper control arm hardware though, so I had to trim the washers down on that. I would recommend a mini starter too, but this 305 won't be in much longer...
I was worried about the Dynomax mufflers being loud, because you can pretty much drop a beer can right through them. But they are really quiet, and nice sounding.
I can't wait to hear the rowdy 427 SBC that will go in after a few more modifications to the car.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Right on. (y)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What crossmember is that>
G Force. I went with their newer lightweight model.
Also to answer your question from earlier about the wheels, it's about 3 and 3/4 of an inch from the outside lip to where the lug nuts are. So it has a decent amount of dish to it...
I'm about to order some new rear tires for it. Not because I need the traction now, but I'm just getting everything ready for the transplant here in a few months...

·
Registered
183 Posts
G Force. I went with their newer lightweight model.
Also to answer your question from earlier about the wheels, it's about 3 and 3/4 of an inch from the outside lip to where the lug nuts are. So it has a decent amount of dish to it...
I'm about to order some new rear tires for it. Not because I need the traction now, but I'm just getting everything ready for the transplant here in a few months...
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I've been hearing a lot of hoopla about free horsepower using the total seal rings. Is it worth it on the street? My kit came with some Mahle rings, from Skip White.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok guys. Moving right along...
I checked the Mahle PN, and for $150 a set they better be good!
Crank is in, rings are filed, I'm about to start assembling the rods/pistons, then slide them in!

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Yep. For that price, one would assume they are good.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Most of the rings landed dead on. I went with .020 Top, and .022 Middle. A few of them I got a little overzealous with the ring filer. I'm hoping this wont cause a problem with Blowby. I only went over by .005 max on like 3 out of 16...
Should I stop for the day, and order some rings? Or should I just send it?
I have been reading too big is better than too small!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Correction.
I went over .003 on one top.
.003 on two middles.
.002 on another top ring...

So two top rings are at .023 and .022
Two middles are at .025.
The rest are nice and square, and spot on...

·
More for Less Racer
19,748 Posts
Yep, better to be a little too much rather than too little on ring gap.

You'd have to blow another .010" out of those gaps before it might be a performance drop off.

Mahle is a very good ring, don't worry about that. I see it is in the thin metric sizes too, with standard tension oil (y).

An oldtimer's speedway rule on rings I read or heard somewhere once...

"Too big a ring gap, nobody will notice it"...."too small a ring gap, everybody (the whole speedway) will soon know it"

21 - 40 of 41 Posts