Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yep, better to be a little too much rather than too little on ring gap.

You'd have to blow another .010" out of those gaps before it might be a performance drop off.

Mahle is a very good ring, don't worry about that. I see it is in the thin metric sizes too, with standard tension oil (y).

An oldtimer's speedway rule on rings I read or heard somewhere once...

"Too big a ring gap, nobody will notice it"...."too small a ring gap, everybody (the whole speedway) will soon know it"
Thanks E.
This motor is going in a nice car, so I was worried about blowby. But I heard Smokey talk about going waayyy bigger, and not having problems.
Im gonna let it rip, Tater Chip!!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
We are making good progress over here.
Getting the GN rear cleaned up and ready to re-build the Posi Unit. I ordered a kit from GBodyParts.com. GBodyParts.com Online
I can get my wheel bearings, and seals local here. Im also planning on going with the 1350 Pinion Yoke, and a new seal while I'm there. Just gonna keep the 3.42s and see how it does.

On that note, I talked with Straub today. The Prototype for the heads I'm getting is almost done. He said my set will be the first to come off the Rottler. He is talking over 500 ft. pounds of torque at 2500 rpm, and will max out around 6200... This thing is going to be a beast!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have used total seal rings. We gained 7-15hp with them in one engine and the same everything in the other engine other than rings. The 15 hp was at 8700 rpm. So I doubt that type gains on a street engine and rpm use.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This happened Wednesday.
The car could barely peel out with wet tires leaving the car wash... So these won't get exercised for a few months...
But I wanted to test fit them, and they have lots of room!
275 40 17 MT Street SS
They look good too!!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looking at a build similar to mine, but way bigger cam has prompted me too call Straub and see some numbers planned for my top end.
Again, he is talking over 500 lbs torque by 2500 rpm, and 650 horse by 6200 rpm. Should be the perfect street motor, for a big inch SBC!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Maybe, but I should have flow numbers and cam specs early this week.
I'm gonna run it by you guys, and see what you think. Its gonna be hard on tires, that's for sure
Ok guys, let me have it. Dont hold back..
I see I will have to mock up with clay for sure, and probably massage the brow on piston to get my clearance for the big intake valve.
These are (quite possibly) on the famous China/ProHeader/Dart Clone Casting.

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
20,378 Posts
It reminds me of one of the ports Chad Speier had developed for that casting, before he decided to no longer sell a big port import casting. He still has a small bore 220cc version, but no longer does the bigger port in that casting.

Actually, those numbers you posted are nearly identical to the 220cc Flo-Tek that Speier has CNC'd....except Speier is doing it with a 2.08" valve.
Flo-Tek 23º SBC CNC - -Speier Racing Heads/SRH INDUCTION-

It'll be a bad, bad street bullet, for sure.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks, looking forward to it. I still have a TON of work to do on the car. And waiting for backordered parts is no fun.
But I do have new body bushings, and the basic kit to box in the frame. I will probably do that next. I also have a new Griffin radiator, that will go in fairly easy after I wire up a fan relay.
I've been waiting on rotors to finish up the rear end. But now, my phone has been ringing like crazy, and everybody else's car is getting fixed...

I'm still anxious to see what the cam specs will be...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Assembling the short block today. Questions to follow to follow shortly. View attachment 614671
So, moving on with this project I got an Email today and I am going to move a different direction on the top end. Waiting on a call back from Spier, but I talked to Mike Jones and he said the AFR 220s should be plenty and he can grind me a cam for them. Airflow Research (AFR) 1065 AFR 220cc SBC Eliminator Racing Heads | Summit Racing
They have a few sets in stock right now, and CamKing can get me setup fairly quick.
Or would I be better off going with some Spier Heads?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Speier's stuff wil beat AFR any day of the week.

A third choice would be Eric Weingartner, also better than out-of-the-box AFR.
Just talked to E Weingartner. He recommended 242 Dragonslayer, which might be a little too much for me? But he said they would peak around 6500 so I can definitly live with that. Only problem is we are looking at another 7 months...

Still waiting to speak with Chad.

Since its been awhile,
4x4.125 Dart Block 427 SBC
11 to1 with Forged Wiseco Pistons
3700# car with 3.42s and Auto

Hot Street, just looking for lots of torque, I'm ok with solid or hydraulic roller...

So if Speier doesnt have anything in stock now, how much will I be leaving on the table if I go with the AFRs out of the box?
Weingartner, and Straub are about "Bigger is Better" seeing it basically has big block cubes, but Jones didnt seem too worried as the AFRs flow about 306 @ 0.600.
AFRs are good, or should I hold out for the gooder stuff?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm getting excited again about this build. I almost had it all figured out before, but I think when I get a chance to talk with Chad, we can get it all figured out again!

·
More for Less Racer
20,378 Posts
The AFR's in my opinion wold be the "I have to drive it now" solution but not necessarily the best .
it's not going to be a huge difference though.

I've slowed on my project, here in Mi we got one more month left before the cold starts to arrive....I guess about 6 weeks really and I made peace with the fact it ain't gonna happen this year for me.... so i can wait for parts.
Probably different in N.C., just getting cool enough to get back out there now?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yes, its been really hot lately but I work in the shade of a shop so its not that bad. Cool dry air has drifted down a couple of times already and it feels really nice!
January, and February get cold but I drive my stuff whenever the streets are dry. It didn't snow at all the last 2 years.
I really like the price, and availability of the AFRs and CamKing was not concerned with their numbers. But if Chad can get me something quicker than 6 months I will probably wait. The car is still together, so I drive it around when I can. So I really have not reason to be impatient.
A friend from Austin invited me too come put hands on a SEMA project in October, and I will be attending in November for my first time. So my next couple months are going to be kinda hectic anyway.
I hear Speier, is a one man show so I know he is super busy. Hopefully he's not covered up too bad, and is able to move stuff out the door.
318cfm @ 0.600 looks good too me!
Font Number Circle

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What do you guys think of these?
The numbers are really close to custom heads I have been looking at, and the price is right there too.

Also, I'm really leaning on going with a solid roller too. It seems like with the quality of todays parts the longevity is way better than it used to be. This car will get driven, but probably only 5000 miles per year.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
GOOD NEWS!!!
Talked with Straub, and I had mis-understood his E Mail.
Turns out there is only going to be a slight delay with him, and everything is going to be as planned originally...

Damn Covid got his guys again, and he is laying low for a couple of weeks.

Here are the heads I'm getting again. Good numbers, good quality, and a Gooder Price!!!

Attachments

41 - 58 of 58 Posts