Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 pontiac firebird and recently the 2.8 v6 that was in it blew (whats new!??) and i have a mildly built chevy 355 sitting im my garage. I want to throw the 355 in the firebird but im not sure exactly what I need for it. I was wondering if I would have to get stiffer front springs to handle the more weight and with me running a turbo 350 tranny, will the drive shaft have to be resized. The car had the 200R4 in it with the v6. The v6 was fuel injected and I was wondering if I would have to remove the electric fuel pump in the tank or if I could keep it there. If you have experience with this kind of engine swap, please let me in on what needs to be done and what problems I will be faced with..Thanx!

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have seen several swaps like this most i have seen did not swap front springs and used the electric pump in the tank and added a external pressure regulator hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the swap from 2.8 to 327 .30 over forged internals..etc etc.
The front springs on the v-6 car ar lighter as is the sway bar..this is the only difference car wise. You can use the stock fuel pump, if you use an adjustable 3 port fuel regulator. I used a malory 3 port . set it at 7lbs for my edelbrock 600cfi, carb. Here are some other things you will need..
V-8 radiator
v-8 brake lines
Hoses
V8 motor mounts
th350 mounts and driveshaft..Summit or Spohn sell a conversion kit
And lets not forget new exhaust.
Best to have a v8 donor car. Or save youself alot of time and trouble and buy a v-8 car to put your 355 in.
Although the 327 sure brought my v-6 car to life. Now I'm working on a 406 rebuild, Miss that bottom end torque
:D

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Fast_89rs ]</p>

·
Registered
87 Posts
the biggest problem I see is electrical, the 2.8 is computerized and it with all the extra harness is goin to need to be eliminated and cleaned up, I'm guessin you're gonna run HEI on the 355

1 - 4 of 4 Posts