Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi every one i am new here and just started to build my first 350 so if u guys could help me thanks. i just picked up some heads and they say they are 882 heads but they are angled plugs and have screw in studs with the push rod plate things um ya i am a little confused i cant find any thing about them and there are no smog stuff on them they are 1.94 intake with 1.50 exhaust :confused:

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
joeyb said:
hi every one i am new here and just started to build my first 350 so if u guys could help me thanks. i just picked up some heads and they say they are 882 heads but they are angled plugs and have screw in studs with the push rod plate things um ya i am a little confused i cant find any thing about them and there are no smog stuff on them they are 1.94 intake with 1.50 exhaust :confused:
They may have been ordered as a blank casting originally and had the angle plugs drilled. I'm pretty sure that the factory did not offer angle plug cast heads so it has to be a custom set someone had made. JMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thank every one so far and i have been looking at them some more and it almost looks like they have been welded the spark plugs then redrilled and taped is that possible? also y would there be no heat risers?
also the number between the springs is 333882

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahah well i am building this engine for my frist car (which i have done all the work to so far :drunk: ) and you know like ever 17 year old kid i want to go fast for the least amount of money but um how bad are the head i have ?and will they suport a fair amout of hp

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Angle plugs in 882`s, I wonder why anybody even bothered.
They aren`t great heads, depending on who you ask on here you`ll get different answers. It also depends on what kind of power level you would like to make. The heads and cam, are the 2 biggest keys to making power, but the rest of the combo must match up to them to make max power.
Even so I don`t know your experience but since your young I`ll say this, make sure you pay attention to cleanliness. I can`t tell you how important cleanliness is. cleanliness is power. Many new builders get the block back from the machine shop so they wash it and think it`s ready to go, wrong. You have to do a bore test, which is spray WD40 on a paper towel and wipe, if you see gray on the towel the bore isn`t clean. During the honing of the block, the grit from the hone stones gets impregnated in the bores and a regular wash job won`t get it out. You have to get some heavy duty cleaner like seafoam, gunk, super clean, etc. and a stiff bristled toilet brush and scrub the bores until hell wouldn`t have them. If the grit is left in the bores, the oil, heat and the dragging of the rings will quickly dislodge it, when this happens the added friction kills the rings then the grit makes it`s way into the oil where it wipes out the bearings. On another note, if the heads were mine I would stick them on Ebay as 882`s seem to be popular there. I would get a set of Vortec heads to replace them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool man ya thanks for the tips and i have apreety fair understanding of alot of stuff both my dad and step dad are car guys but there knowlage only goes so far lol but as far as geting new heads it is kind wat i have so i am just going to deal with them now haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am going to pick ur guys brains for alot of info hahaha so if i do stick with these heads wat do you guys think is a good setup for a 83 monte ss with 3.73 gears a th350c that dosnt lock up any more a 650 holly 4bbl etlbrock performer and i just had a 350 done .030 over um cast crank and probebly the sbc rebuild kit from summit with the flat top hyper...... something pistons i gess im just askin wat that could put out and wat kinda cam i should posibliy get or something like that lol just rember 17 teen year old with a bugget :)

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I referred to the Purple Sage and Stan Weiss sites for head flow figures on these heads. This is stock flow, unported, so if your heads have been ported (I'm sure that was in the plans of whomever did the other work, but don't know if they got around to it) they will flow better than these figures. But you have to consider, if they have been ported, are they eggshell thin in some areas and subject to cracking as soon as you add some heat? That's the other thing I might do if I had glommed onto some unknown heads, disassemble and magnaflux for cracks. Cheap money to pay for finding out ahead of time.

Stock, the intake ports are 151 cc's, exhaust 59 cc's. Intake/exhaust flow at given valve lifts is as follows:
0.100" 70 58
0.200" 125 108
0.300" 175 135
0.400" 204 141
0.500" 205 142

In comparison, the L31 Vortec heads, a much-sought-after production casting, casting numbers 12558062 and 10239906 show published flows as follows:
0.100" 70 48
0.200" 139 101
0.300" 190 129
0.400" 227 140
0.500" 239 147

Now, you have to take published flow figures with a grain of salt. The only way you will know definitively is to flow each head you are considering on your own flow bench under the same conditions (temperature, humidity, bore pipe size, valve stem diameter in the port, depression of water on the manometer, etc., etc.)

Bottom line: If they're not cracked, they should make some decent daily driver horsepower.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
joeyb said:
i am going to pick ur guys brains for alot of info hahaha so if i do stick with these heads wat do you guys think is a good setup for a 83 monte ss with 3.73 gears a th350c that dosnt lock up any more a 650 holly 4bbl etlbrock performer and i just had a 350 done .030 over um cast crank and probebly the sbc rebuild kit from summit with the flat top hyper...... something pistons i gess im just askin wat that could put out and wat kinda cam i should posibliy get or something like that lol just rember 17 teen year old with a bugget :)
What is the compression height of the pistons. The dimension should be in the details of the pistons and will be a number like 1.560" or 1.540".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya that is a very good point about the porting but i would see the tool marks correct and i dont think they were porte dor at least they dont look it i will definetly look in to magna flux thanks :) and i guss mabey i got to look for some better heads but if there not cracked yet iam going to wing it and us them haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.